Bananana MATRYOSHKA (or similar) + EQD Hummingbird vs Source Audio C4? (Tremolo recommendations?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by remcult, Sep 22, 2019.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I generally want a tremolo to mess around with other effects, but more specifically would like to combine it with a synth effect. A combo that sits comfortably between "somewhat traditional" and weird as hell would be ideal, though of course if the C4 could approximate that it's a strong option. Anyone have experience with any of the above 3 pedals?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I have the C4 and it can do what the hummingbird can do. The C4 is a surprisingly capable tremolo effect pedal if you dial it in.

You'll have to decide based on the synths and pick the setup that sounds better to you.

Ikkir and remcult like this.
  3. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Very fair response. Do you have any suggestions for a tremolo pedal separate from synth function?

4. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I was looking at getting a Malekko Sneak Attack before I got the C4.

remcult likes this.
  5. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    awesome, thanks for the suggestion!

6. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NYC
    I have an Earthquaker Hummingbird v4 and while it can the choppiest of any trem pedal I've tried, I prefer my Source Audio Vertigo for overall sound and variety. Something the Hummingbird does have out of the box is a momentary switch, which I use the heck out of. I also have the C4, so i'm probably going to program a few synth+trem patches at some point.

remcult likes this.
  7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are many ways to skin a cat. Both of your options are viable. One involves set it and forget it stomping the other is programming presets...which do you prefer?

remcult likes this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have a Matryoshka and didn't find that it worked very well in a live context. The sensitivity on it wasn't effective and found the to get it to trigger properly I'd have to roll my bass volume back to maybe a half or less even with the control backed off all the way.

remcult likes this.
  9. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    interesting, that'd really make it a cool toy then. thanks for sharing! do you have a C4?

I guess I kind of muddled what I was looking for: I'm interested in a synth pedal, for sure, but also for tremolo options that could span weird square wave glitchiness (a la EQD's Hummingbird) to softer/more conventional uses. And one that could do both in conjunction with a synth pedal, but also other pedals

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    For synths I have the Matryoshka, the Future Impact and the C4. I'd consider the Matryoshka to be more like the Electro Harmonix Bass9 but with some weirder sounds in the mix... At best it would be functional in a recording/home setting where you could dial in not only the pedal but the gear around it with some precision.

Of the few 'synths' I've tried, the C4 probably is the one that can do 'double duty' for more traditional effects as well as having a viable synth component. The Future Impact has a hardier synth design suite but didn't impress me as much in terms of good basic stand alone envelope-filter, phase, trem sounds.

If you want to get deep into synthesis design and implementation the FI is probably your best target. If you want something that can do good 'effects' and reasonably effective synth design without getting deep in the weeds, then the C4 is a great option. If you want a plug and play box that has a variety of synth tones pre-designed then there's a pile of options from the new Boss SY unit to the Bananana, the Bass9, etc. If you want something that's in between full design suite and 'synth pre-sets' something like the Meris Enzo would be a good option.

halfjackson and remcult like this.
  11. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks, that's pretty much the impression I've gotten over the last week or so, and the C4 definitely seems like an incredibly solid choice. But I think I wasn't very clear again, I was more looking for a separate trem pedal that could be used with a synth pedal (because that's a sound combo I'm really enjoying at the moment), but would also be a viable option for experimenting with trem and other, non-synth effects (like overdrive). I like that the C4 is versatile enough that it could cop the first sort of combination on its own, but does it have the ability to also function solely as a tremolo effect for the second kind of combo?

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I believe you'd be able to use the trem 'ala carte' with whatever you wanted or be able to use it with it's own synth voices.

You should check out the 'community' options to see what people are already doing:
    Neuro Community by Source Audio

remcult likes this.
  13. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    So if you wanted the C4 itself to solely fulfill your tremolo needs, what features and sounds would you require from it? What are some necessary features and sounds you are looking for in a tremolo unit?

GMC and remcult like this.
  14. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    A few weeks ago I was experimenting with the C4 as a tremolo pedal. Here is a (very sloppy) clip I recorded of what I came up with.

The Overdrive is from my Damnation MBD-1.
    There is a Space Echo effect I apply using my Boss RV-500.
    Half way through the clip you'll hear an envelope controlled volume Swell which I programmed into this tremolo patch, and you'll hear the tremolo itself. I believe it was a Square Wave LFO pattern.
    Towards the end of the clip I turn the Space Echo off and you hear only the tremolo and overdrive.

The tremolo effect was built in the C4. This is my signal in parallel, where each signal is running at a 1:4 speed ratio creating the sound of two parallel tremolos.

kazuhank, GMC and remcult like this.
  15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I know that you're interested in a Tremolo that is based on a square wave LFO, so here I think the C4 should do what you want:

The LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillators) can be set to control the Filter modulation, Sequencer rates, or Tremolo rates (amplitude modulation).
    • LFO Wave Shape Selector Dropdown Menu:
    Choose from 14 different LFO wave shapes. Each wave shape evokes a different character from the Filter and Tremolo modulation. Choose from a range of sounds from a smooth Sine wave modulation to a choppier Square wave modulation.

remcult and Robertron like this.