Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

band advice: our guitarist = suckage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toony, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    hey all. not sure what section this belongs in, but i thought it somehow fit best here. anyhow, i need advice. the problem is my band's guitarist sucks, don't get me wrong we're all still learning and all have much space left to grow. the problem comes not in his actual playing but his attitude. while the rest of the band (4) wants to write our own stuff all he wants to do is blow out his recently mastered soad, tool, and nirvana tabs. that's great but we're not trying to be a cover band.

despite, i'm really close with the guy and we share the same ideas and motifs for our future endeaver but i hate his cumbersome ethics. we're thinking of even getting a second guitarist but that'll probably just end is with a dead weight "lead" member, him. any advice that can help me shoot this friend to maybe write his own stuff. i'm damn tired of him ruining pratice because he chose to learn mudvayne tabs instead of writing his part of the songs. bleerrg! i'm rambling. =)

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    No amount of General Instruction can help with that. How about Misc.?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    ...and just when i thought shoveling him waist down in beach sand and stoning him with wooden nickels would work...baaa!! =)

man i don't know which way to go with this, i'm sure i'm not the only member of the band that feels this way....just hate to lose this guy, either way, band or friend. we gave birth to this thing together, the first two members....gotta think about my own future i guess. i'll try talking to him again first, if all else fails, whatever.

only hard part about it is that either way i go i lose a friend. i mean the rest of the guys still want to be a band, so if i hike him away he'll hate all of us, if i leave they'll all hate me and him. i mean i got enough gaul to say whatever to all of them....but do i want to is the inevitable question. =/

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    fire his ass. sometimes, a band has to be like business: it's not personal, it's business.

I get the dubious task of firing our new drummer tomorrow. Nice guy, decent chops, can't find the pocket to save his ass.

Bu-bye.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    hey, sounds like me :D you never know, man - he'll probably go off, study death and thrash rudiments for a large part of his adolescence, then join a short-lived death metal group that disbands because of a heroin overdose on the part of the singer. day-jah vuuuuuuuuuuuu :p

6. Sit him down and say

"Listen Dave, or whatever your name is. What do you want to do in your life"

LET DAVE ANSWER

"I want to be in a band that grows, each player grows and our art, our music grows with us. I want it to be our music, not someone elses. Now, if you wanna cover peoples stuff, thats fine but the rest of the band, including me dont want to"

Finish how you see fit. Or as others have suggested

"DITCH THE B*TCH"

sim

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Bahh, talk to him...
    I've seen this happen all too much, with guitarists...

8. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I'm having the same problem but with our drummer, but in reverse order. Me and the guitarist want to play mostly covers with some original stuff but he's only into jamming. Its cool to jam every once in a whle but every practice turns into a jam session and ends within an hour. Problem is we don't know any other drummers that are not in a band already. I feel you pain Toony.

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i have the exact same problem.

10. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i'm in the exact same situation. it sucks. we're starting to make progress though. all of the other members and i just started dropping little hints and he finaly cought on and is getting better. i hope everything works out.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with what Smash says. I think you should find bandmates you don't know, then start/join a band with them. I had a simlar case in a way. I started jamming with this garage band a few summers ago. They were my friends from high school and they really didn't know what was expected from a band. I don't want to sound concieted like I'm the best bassist or musician in the world, but I grew up around bands and music and I know what it takes to make it. I didn't want to come out and say "you suck" cause they actually did write some decent tunes, and they were my friends. Luckily they went to college and I could just sneak my way into joining a professional band. I didn't know the guys I was playing with when I audtioned, so if I decided not to play with them, there wouldn't be any hurt feelings. Of course, now I'm friends with them, and if the band were to ever break up and I decided to start a new band with some of the members, I already no their goals and abilities.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    but what if he says "I wannna rock!!" and hits a power chord on his red fender bullet-type looking guitar and blows you through the wall of the room? :D

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    We're not gonna take it... :D

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    sit down with him and talk to him, tell him exactly how you and the rest of the band feel, if you all dont see eye to eye with him then you should fire him. Do it with the rest of the band around though. I find that it always works best when having to fire someone that the entire band is there when its being done. this way there are no misunderstandings on anyones part. If he's a friend then he will more than likly be ok with it and want whats best for the band.

15. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    :D

That probably went completely past about 90% of the people in this forum... but for those of us who remember when MTV actually showed videos, that rules.

-Mr. Sister

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mr. Sister? Are you Twisted?;)

17. JerryR

JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    Toony, man, don't let the friend business get in the way of playing. FIRE HIS BUTT !!

If he can't, or won't play the material the band decides on let him ride.

You will be amazed at the change in the sound AND the progress you guys can make with a guitar player that WANTS TO (key words) play.

18. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    NZ
    We/ my band have the same problem with our singer!! He SUCKS!! but hes all we've got beening that guys in my area would rather play rugby then take singing lessions.
    any advice on how to nicely tell him he sucks and should take some lessions or give him the boot??

19. Ive just recently started a band too and my advice to you is to actually learn the songs he wants to play and then write your own stuff. Maybe learn one or two songs, and then this way you'll get a feel for each other. THen when you write your own songs it will be a lot less tedious. You have to compromise with each other or you'll never get anything done. With this in mind tell him that he should really write some of his own stuff too. I know when I first started playing bass I didn't really learn any songs...hell I still dont know that many songs. I just mainly practiced on my smoothness and timing and then making my own stuff up. anyways try to learn a few songs together, its probably better that way Because when you play live the cover songs will give the crowd something to relate your own songs to. ciao

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I disagree with MadPink.
    I can't count how many times this has happened to me, but I've been in so many bands where I've said "ok, let's do a cover song" at practice, and afterward, they just wanted to do more cover songs, and/or couldn't stopped being able to come up with original material afterward.