1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jarrydee, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Will be trying out for a new band tonight, the only thing that worries me more than them not liking me is me finding out they are no good, could be a long practice! I found these guys on CL and the singer seems like a good guy, they sent me a nights worth of songs and I got them all down, wish me luck TB

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Good luck! I had my first in almost 4 years last week. It went well for the most part. I had a song list, went in and played with the band. The funny thing was none of the 3 players, 2 guitar and 1 drummer had all played together before. Both guitar players had played with the drummer in the past but never had the guitarists played togehter, in fact they had just met that day like they met me.

For a first practice or get together they sounded good on guitar. The drummer was solid and we hit it off well doing country, and southern rock songs. The vocals were decent to not so good. I am going back again to see where it goes. I dont see this band doing allot but local watering holes or Animals clubs but we shall see. Go in knowing the songs, play them and ask questions. If its going south act like your cell phone is in vibrate and fake a call to get out of there. Oh and remember to smile :p

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The hard part is getting an audition. Everything from here on is the easy part! You will either find out:

a) what they are doing, how talented they are, etc. is not a good fit for you...or...
    b) what they are doing, how talented they are, etc. is exactly what you are looking for...or...
    c) you're just not sure, but this MIGHT work out OK...

If it's a), no big deal. You have only invested one night of your life. Tell them the truth about your interests being different than theirs (but no need to tell them they suck if they suck), thank them for the opportunity to audition, and sincerely wish them good luck.

If it's b), tell them how much you like what they are doing, how much you want to be a part of it, how much you appreciate the opportunity to audition, how much you hope you hear from them real soon, and ask when they will be getting back to you. Then follow up with thank you emails and, if you don't hear from them when they said they would get back to you, a phone call a day or two after the time they told you they would contact you.

If it's c), tell them how much you appreciate the opportunity to audition and ask when they will be getting back to you. Then follow up with thank you emails and go home and think about it.

Have fun!

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Hope it turns out to be what you want.

Having you learn a nights worth of material is odd.

Blue

5. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks eveyone..I have been talking to the vocalist for about 3 weeks now, they had another guy try out and the guy said although he was good, he was unprepared and had an ego problem. I asked for their set list, I am still at that stage where I like to keep learning different songs, they sent me 25 (not really a nights worth) and I got them down pretty well. I have a few other bands asking me to play now that I have this audition coming up (when it rains, it pours)..I just dont want to have the odd silence at the end of the practice, ya know, them feeling weird because they want to think about it BUT think maybe I am waiting for an answer right then, and the other way around, what if they are not that good, I cant just say NO right there, I would feel bad!

6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    You're learning 25 songs for an audition?? Wow. The other guy was unprepared? What, he only learned 20?? lol :p

If you're willing to put the work in, good on ya. Nothing wrong at all with learning songs. I learn songs that I KNOW I'll never play out, just because I want to. It can be fun.

Good luck! Hope it's all you ever imagined. :D :bassist:

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Control the situation, don't wait for the situation to control you! If you don't think it's a good fit, you CAN say so in a respectful way. That way you are not wasting any more of your time and you are not wasting any more of their time. No one will be mad at you as long as you are respectful about how you say it - I promise.

If you want to hear back from them, tell them you are interested, that you understand they probably want to talk about it amongst themselves, and ask them when you can expect to hear back from them.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Learn as many of the songs as possible but don't kill yourself. If they like you they should understand that nobody will come in knowing all 25 songs for an audition. The band I sat in with last week sent me about the same amount of songs and I went in knowing 10 or so and got thru the rest. There was no way I was going in learning that many songs not knowing if they were time wasters.
    Be yourself and have fun. I have been in bands where we asked players to join the band who were not the best player due to them having a good attitude and being the type of guy we would like to hang with. Anyone with an ego will get the boot most of the time.

Remember when in doubt the silenced cell phone call always will do the trick :smug:

9. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone! I will take your words with me!!