Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

band break up and no christmas - good story

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soundoholic, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Hello all. This is my first bitch post!!! This is a great story.

admins I posted this here because I felt this was much less band related and more personal.

The Back ground
    I am in a band called zwarte'(www.zwarte.com) with much older musicians. I'm 19 the other guys are in their mid 30's to early 40's. My bands lead singer had been having some drinking problems earlier this year and I addressed the issue and it seemed to help him out and our show. When he drinks too much he talks way too much on stage and generally plays like **** and sings awful. Lately our lead singer hasn't been in a good mood and has always been fight with his brother who is our drummer.

The Story
    About a month ago my band was doing a gig in Decatur, IL. He started drinking a lot that night. A lot! I do not drink just to let you know. He was singing off key the whole night and playing awful. We were taking huge breaks and playing short sets. The crowd was in a bad mood. We were putting on a bad show. A really bad show. I was playing bad durring some of the last songs because I was in a really bad mood. Not a good excuse but it's mine.

Right after the show I walked off stage and just yelled out loud(not to anyone) "That was a ****ty show". Immediatly my bands lead singer(Randall) confronts me and starts screaming at me about how I should show him more respect and that I was a ****ty musician and such. Really dirty things that I just never saw coming. He is saying this like he is trying to teach me a lesson or something. I just looked at him and said "Randall, you make more mistakes than I do." Which is true. He is a hack guitarist. I then told him I wasn't going to argue with him now since he was drunk. Then he told me that my last show would be december 23rd and I just told him to fire me now. This was a very heated argument. Durring this whole ordeal my fellow bandmates and roadies are sticking up for me. My drummer(Bob) was screaming at him something like "Chris(me) isn't just some kid he is a partner you can't do this."

I would have left and gone to the hotel but I needed to get paid, so instead I just stood outside talking to my drummer(Bob) and lead guitarist(Eddie). Bob informs me that Randall told him that he was 'dealing with me just like he would deal with his own son disrespecting him.' So up walks Randall and tells us that he has called a cop so we can all take a breathilizer test to proove that he is not drunk and that he can have an argument. I said see ya and went back inside.

Later on Bob, Eddie, our soundman, and I are all trying to figure out how we are all going to get home since I drove Randall to the gig and I want nothing to do with him at that point. Please note: home is 9 hours away from where we were standing. So here comes Randall walking up again.
    Here is his speach, he does not look at me durring it.
    "I am going to give Chris until Monday to give me a call and figure out what he has to do to stay in this band"
    I said "see ya'" and walked out the door.
    When I'm just about out the door Randall yells
    "So I'm not going to get a ride?"

The nerve of that man. AHHH!!!
    Now I have to miss christmas with my family to play with a band that is breaking up. Randall and I have still not spoken. I have left messages with him trying to make peace but I am past that. I tried to get out of the shows right around christmas but the clubs have already spent nearly a grand in advertising. So it is safe to say if I breached contract I would be sued.

The good news is that I have already started a band with my drummer and we already have a couple good originals. We are going to cover some Rage so i'm happy!!!!:D

Wait no i'm not. I don't get to go home for christmas!!!

2. "So I'm not going to get a ride?"

What a dipsh!t :)

Anywho, good luck.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    This here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - This is not the act of a sober man. Drunk people are such idiots.

4. wow...I think you really handled the situation well...you definitly were more mature about this.

I think you should quit,tell the band(excluding Randall) that you are sorry for leaving etc,and wish 'em good luck. And tell Randall a 2 letters of advice: AA...

:meh:

Good luck man

5. Thanks. I actually am really happy with myself. The only thing that I am not happy about is that I punched our truck right after I left the first time. I could have broken my hand but atleast I didn't hit Randall. He probably would have sued me. I forgot to add that to the story.

6. Well,I prob would have hit something also...or something to that effect.

Good thinking! :)

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Stupid singers. They all suck.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    The one finger wave goodbye!!

Well, good luck with your new band!

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I resemble that remark. Some singers suck. Most of them suck. Not all of us suck.

As for that Randall character... Creepy nailed it. Drunk people are the first to go out of their way to prove they are in fact, not about to fall over.

Drinkin' and music just don't mix.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey Chris.....I just spent the past 30 minutes looking over the bands website. Too bad it came to this. That seems to be a really successful band.

I bet the dude calls you and patches everything up.

-Mike

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or tell him how much better off without him they're going to be, and how far they're going to go without him and it'll be his loss and their gain because he was dead weight anyway.

And then he gets to watch them crash and burn like a plane without a pilot, all the while smiling with glee.

...er, sorry. Personal experiece. I hope it either works out, or works out like I outlined above.

12. Yeah they were pretty succesful. I can say I have played for thousands of people because of this band. They were together for 13 years. I was with them for 1 year and kaboom!!! No, it was bound to happen. There has always been a lot of tension between the brothers in the band.

Randall wont call. He is better than that. I actually recently left him a message telling him that I wasn't going to play the final shows and he had our agency call me and talk me out of it. He didn't have the guts to call me.

This is the only band that I have been in where the band has a hierarchy. The order goes Randall, Bob, Eddie, Me, and then the roadies. In any other band the band is a circle, even the roadies. I'll go to some of our big shows, like when we opened up for jackyl a few times and Molly Hatchet, and talk to the house roadies and they just are amazed that I talk to them. If I wasn't a bassist I would be a tech. I used to be. I love being part of a good show. And that is where Randall and I really see diferently. He uses zwarte's name to do the show. I believe that you need a good product to move forward and there are only two products in this business. Shows and Albums.

I'm really excited about this new band becaue Bob and I really see I to eye about the show quality thing.

13. When Randall wasn't a drunk he used to have the most original singing voice and he was the best frontman I had ever seen. He is also a great song writer. I'm not kidding. He could work a crowd. It's really too bad that he changed.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "I'm really excited about this new band"

and that, my friend, is why it will work, and you will have fun.

the band i play in does not really do gigs anymore, we never recorded an album, but i get excited every saturday as i get ready to go to practice...i love it.

-Mike