1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band break up - dividing up stuff

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by topper, Apr 27, 2010.

1. One of my bands is breaking up. We had our last gig on Saturday.

I've stated in several forums on TB about the dangers of sharing music equipment among band members. I think this band did it right and I wanted to share what this experience has been like.

Our PA system is not owned collectively. Instead we each own specific pieces of the PA. This is making the painful process of breaking up a little bit easier.

For example, one member owns the main speakers, another owns the monitors, I own the mixer, eq, etc. We each own our own mics, cables, etc.

While we have a lot of other stuff to divide up including boxes of unsold CDs and T-Shirts, and while there are plenty of contentious issues within the band, what to do about the PA isn't one of them. We each know what is ours and there's no band discussion needed about what to do with it all or how to divide it up.

The down side of this is that I've now got a mixer I don't really need. But I know I could sell it, or buy some speakers and have my own little PA.

Anyway, there's no perfect solution and band break ups are never pretty. But this approach has really seemed to eliminate one of the big, contentious head aches that usually plagues the break up process.

2. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    You guys did it right, IMO. It's always nasty when everybody has a share of the PA (not to mention the bank notes that usually accompany it).

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I own pretty much the same stuff you do. This is my exit plan.

4. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I do all the lighting for my band, so if I were to leave, it would be REALLY DARK on stage.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Last year I bought my own full QSC K-series PA, mixer and everything needed just so I never have to deal with issues like this.

6. meycom

meycom Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    Our drummer used to do a DJ gig once in a while, so he owns most of the PA, but we're buying into the lights cause we got such a steal deal, it's a great investment.

7. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    What would have happened if one member left the band, taking his specific piece of the PA with him?

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Someone buys a replacement.

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    This is most likely a great time to buy out the guys with the mains and monitors, before they end up on craigslist.

Maybe they could take the t-shirts and cds.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Or that person's replacement buys the replacement.

11. Yeah that would have been a problem. Same problem if you fire someone. But at least it would be clear what belonged to them and we wouldn't have to all scramble to come up with cash to pay them for their part.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, if you guys could scramble together the cash you could buy that guys piece of the PA out and not be left hanging. Either that or someone would have to pay to replace the piece.

13. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm going through this right now.

Never happening again. :rollno:

14. Rage against the machine is breaking up??????

15. slyderhodge

slyderhodge

Oct 24, 2007
    Floyd, VA
    Associate Engineer: Mountain Fever Studios
    they bands I've played in before were all structured so that the "leader/owner" of the band owned the PA. Break ups were easy we left and he got to keep the PA. I know not all guys would be able to purchase and maintain a top notch PA, but the last band I was in the "band" got an equal share payment. We were a 3 piece, so we divided up the money 4 ways. The "band" owned the PA, the van, and the Trailer. The other members had no problem with this because they were only responsible their gear, not the mics, monitors. In the end they walked with their own stuff. If the bass player owned the mixer and the power amps then the craiglist ads would read something like this....

Bass Player Needed for Rock Band. All interested persons must have the following:
    Mixer - 24 or 32 channel, 4 bus, 4 aux, built in effects. The last guy had a Mackie and we really like them. Allen & Heath would be Ok but extra time would be needed to train the sound guy. Also if you have a nice mic pre that would be great
    Power Amps - Must have a minimum of 4 channels of at least 1000W @ 4 Ohms each. We're kind of spoiled the previous bass player had a really nice set of light weight QSCs. We're kinda of old the the lighter the better.
    Interested parties would also be required to provide their own mic, stand, and mic cable etc.
    Also stage monitors would be a plus. The keyboard player just lost his job and our monitors are currently in pawn. So if you have 4 monitors, powered JBLs are great, or if you have 2 more power amps non powered are good.

All persons should have own transportation and enough space to haul all of the above listed equipment. And if you have room for your rig that's great too.

If you think your our guy please email us at ***@*****.com

Oh yeah almost forgot, we also need a solid bass player with a bass and own gear not real picky here....

Personally I believe that members of the band should be employees of the band. If you want to invest in the band then with all investments their are risks....

16. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Its always interesting when a band is just forming up. All smiles, great friendship, and looking forward to the great times ahead. Fast forward a couple of years, and all the petty jealousies and personal gripes just leave you a little bitter. Been there/done that! I'm glad that you guys seem to be calling it quits with very little rancor.

17. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Uh, what?

:confused:

19. slyderhodge

slyderhodge

Oct 24, 2007
    Floyd, VA
    Associate Engineer: Mountain Fever Studios
    The way we booked was something similar to this. Band $350 for the a set if the PA was provided and $500 if we brought the PA. If the we didn't bring the PA then it was divided up by 3 but 4 if we brought he PA. We looked at it as if the PA was earning the extra cash. We did of course start with a very crappy pieced together system but after 5 years or say we had a great PA and a Van and a Trailer.

20. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    And if someone else leaves who owns part of that piece, they now have to be bought out. In addition, the replacement band member owns none of the PA gear but gets all the benefits. Do they get the same share of gig money as the other members who are supplying the PA?