1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Break up. Last gig... *vomit*

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shimmi, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Shimmi

Shimmi

Jan 28, 2015
    So a few weeks ago I tried to book us a gig, the bar owner gave us 2 dates we could play. 1 of them I was sure wouldn't work as it was easter weekend and my drummer was gonna be out of town to see family, second date was a day that the drummer wasnt working but he'd have to work the very next early morning. He's quitting his job and moving to Cali so I figured taking a personal day should be a big deal. He said he couldn't/wouldn't so I asked about the day before that and he said it'd be good for him.

I go into the bar and talk to the owner and tell him the date we can play, he shakes his head and tells me he isn't going to pay any band to play on a thursday because it's just not a busy day. I counter and tell him maybe thats why he should have a band to bring in customers on a slow night, he's really not into it. So I tell him, "Well here's an idea, for thursday forget the price we discussed and just pay us in drinks, whatever is on tap, if we bring in a good enough crowd to where you are happy, then you know our price" He agreed and said that was fair. I tell him I need to text my band. (I do this at the bar so that way if they cant do it I can keep talking and see)

The guitarist is acting more twaty than usual and tells me to quit booking shows without talking to them. I said it's not booked yet until he confirms it, he tells me to confirm it with drummer first, I tell him I already have and I just need to know if he's cool with it.

He say's it will work.

I confirm the date and the owner tells me he would like flyers asap(small town wants them up early) so I get them printed, they came out super siiick.

I drop them off the next morning and late afternoon/early evening I get a text asking if I can jam today. I'm like sure thing, then the guitarist tells me we are not jamming as a band he is going to work on his solo career and not our band name.

I'm like woah stud we got 1 more show at least and he tells me him nor the drummer want to do that. I'm freaking out I text the drummer and he tells me he is still wanting to play so its all the guitarist throwing a fit. I tell him the show is booked and the flyers are up it's confirmed.

He doesn't really text me back saying what he plans on doing. So he texts me later saying he is going solo and isn't asking me to play with his solo project he just wanted to jam(clarifying that he only wanted to play a jam and not me join his solo project). I'm sorry but shag that I'm not gonna play bass for any douchebags solo project even if its just jamming.

I ask him if hes solo is it okay that I keep the name, he says its fine but I cant use any of his songs. I have 1 song I wrote.

I have no idea if hes thinking about this or what, the event is on facebook and I know he sees it but he hasnt said no hes not playing the show, but he didnt say he was either, all I know is this will be the last show.

I call a mutual friend and ask a favor, I tell him about my situation and asks that if my guitarist drops out if he would like to just play some freestyle jams to cover the night. He said he'd be happy to and he understands the situation.

Now I own the name and 1 song. However my drummer is moving at the end of next month, I have plenty of songs from my last band projects however its only the bass and lyrics... I have no idea how this show is goinna work out. I spent money on flyers, teeshirts, and countless other promos and shiz and he said he'd pay me back but I dont trust him as he cant be counted on.

Not sure what advice im looking for, I'm only worried about the show because I think I might have to rent some equiptment if he is really gonna bitch out. The friend I asked to play with we've jammed a few times before and we naturally play well together, I havent asked the drummer if he'll play without the original guitarist but last time 3 of us practiced(guy filling) we played great and had a better flow, me and the drummer even agreed we had a funner time than with our old guitarist... So now I'm just trying to think how I'[m going to break the ice, or how I'll ask the guitarist if he can do the show for me.

I hate flakey gui****s.

Zodion likes this.
  2. Zodion

Zodion Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    People doing solo projects when no one knows them is so dumb. No body commits anymore. I stayed with my last band til it ended and now I'm committed to my new/old band. But then again I'm a bassist lol.

If you have better flow with the new guy, play with him and tell the old solo wannabe to take a hike. It's your band now. I'm sure the drummer will understand

ImNotJoel and Shimmi like this.
  3. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Ahh yes, the old "I'm the talent in the band and I'm going solo" thing. There are two outcomes to that, just another fool on a stool... and I'm pretty sure all the Hipsters with a beat up acoustic guitar have that market currently covered; or you discover to play your songs you need.... oops.... a band; and because you're a solo artist and want all the profits, the people you have playing for you should be/will expect to be paid. For both rehearsals and gigs. They're not the ones with the dreams, you are.

Sometimes ego writes some pretty big cheques. This guy better hope he's good enough to cash them. Sucks in your situation though. You have three options: 1. work with that second guitarist and hope you can pull some stuff together fast 2. Cancel the gig and risk losing that location as a place to play or 3. Talk the old guitarist into playing the last gig as a "Farewell to the band". Tell him he can push his new solo direction or something.

Shimmi and Zodion like this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Find out if the guitarist is or is not playing the gig. If he's out I would cancel it rather than hobble together something last minute.

I can't say that I would have agreed to do the gig in the first place though. It sounds like the other guys aren't too keen on playing an off night for drinks and no money. When the owner basically tells you it's going to be dead that doesn't bout too much confidence for the night.

petrus61, squirefan, DirtDog and 2 others like this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Cancel! I just couldn't put up that nonsense! Find another band or start your own with musos on the same mindset! This is why I am bandless at the moment. Either the musicians are flaky as hell or they just plain suck! I just can't do it.

ImNotJoel, Scooberto, lvbass and 4 others like this.
  6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    +1. Normally, you wouldn't want to cancel, b/c it complicates the venue's business and can dent the band's reputation. But it sounds like your guitarist and drummer are already checked out, so what are the goals here?

Playing a night of freestyle jams with one or more subs likely won't add any value to the band name. And the way you've set up the gig, just covering the gig musically doesn't count as a win with the club owner. You'll need to surprise him with a healthy Thursday night crowd. If you can't bring a crowd (and leave that crowd feeling eager to see you again), you'd be better off regrouping and hitting the circuit again once you've got the new personnel and songbook.

Joedog, lvbass, DirtDog and 1 other person like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    not much more to add to what's already been said. I vote for cancel. It's lose-lose.

sparkyfender2 likes this.
  8. Shimmi

Shimmi

Jan 28, 2015
    Actually this is not an issue at all. When it comes to compensation simply put I am the only one that ever gets us paid gigs, the guitarist books us not only free shows but shows we LOSE money simply because he spends it on getting the audience drinks. It's the most backword ass way of doing things, another thing the gui**** brought up is he doesnt want to be rich or famous he just wants to make enough to live off of... which is gonna be a godamn miracle... He simply doesnt have what it takes, if hes calling 100% of the shots its not happening, he is no good at booking gigs, he has zero confidence and never asks for anything.

I'm not worried at all about the crowd aspect, we have a good enough following that we can pack the place not to mention the few people I told we were breaking up made a point to come see this show simply because its the last, its stupid just 3 weeks ago we had a debut cd release party. I feel once I make hte official announcement that this is our last show it will more than likely be our fullest show we play. People really do like our music, they just got a taste and everyone is constantly asking when our next show is... The potential and market value is there.

But yeah I'm the one that wants the $$ gigs the other guys its not really a thing, olur drummer goes with the flow, and my guitarist has contempt for me being able to do what he cant...get paid.

9. Shimmi

Shimmi

Jan 28, 2015
    I'm just worried about what the audience will think. Last show we played with new guitarist(we had both guitarist playing) the crowd loved him especially our freestyling...now its seeing a whole night of that.

I did talk to O.G. guitarist today I just texted and asked if he wanted to jam and he said not today but another time he'd want to. So I'll pitch it to him in person and know for sure then.

10. Shimmi

Shimmi

Jan 28, 2015
    Also realistically its going to be 6 months to a year before I do anything with the band, reason being is I dont have time... I mean I do but when I dedicate myself i give 110% and I gave so much to this band that I now need to catch up to my life. So whether this is a good show or bad show I doubt anyone will hold a grudge for the next show, really all I own is the art and font.

11. Shimmi

Shimmi

Jan 28, 2015
    Well the idea of playing these gigs when payment is involved is bringing the people, its not the bar keepers job to expose you to a new audience. That and I'm noit sure he was aware of how much a following we have. Dont get me wrong we arent huge names but we do have a following and not just friends and family. I don't think I'm going to cancel, I'm going to try and talk with everyone again. *crosses fingers*

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    IMO, if the bar is going to be dead and expect you to bring all of their clientele it's not a good bar or a good night to play.

I understand what you're saying, I just think the venue should be somewhat responsible for having a built in crowd too.

Shimmi and StayLow like this.
  13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    If it's the last gig for the band, go at the angle with the guitarist. One last show to send the band off with a bang. I can understand that he wants to keep the songs that he wrote. Maybe if you talk to him he'll allow you to use the songs, but you won't record them or something like that. If it's a band that's been together for awhile, you want to end it on a positive note. If he doesn't play the last show, I'd cancel. There's a greater chance that guitarist will see himself as replaced by this guy than as he quit. You never know what the future brings, don't burn bridges. Even with a douchey gui****.

Shimmi and Brother Goose like this.
  14. Mostresticator

Mostresticator

Feb 25, 2015
    To the OP: I would play the show, Its the last show.. You have no other members after this gig.. and it sounds like the new guitarist and you gel well, so why not. And lastly if the guitarist doesn't have gig equipment, do it as a 2 piece with the drummer. That would be a dream for me personally.

Shimmi and Zodion like this.
  15. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I'm so tired of experiences like this in my own life as a band leader. The problem is that you have a very part-time, almost volunteer venture going, so people do what is best for them and often screw the band leader.

So, use this experience to shore up your position as a band leader. In a way, the musicians are inadvertently training you to be "stronger" -- not that you are weak -- but the experience will help you do bands on a different paradigm, or way of thinking that makes your life easier in the long run.

For this gig, that's free, I would cancel it unless the bar owner is someone you want a long-term relationship with. It sounds like he pays and so I would want to keep the the relationship and keep the gig.

I would go with putting together a set of musicians who can give him a good night, and if I had to, I would pay them out of my own pocket, if you have some free cash. I don't know your age or situation so you be the judge. I know, I know, that sucks, but you'll get better commitment from the guys if you pay them, and good musicians usually come out of the woodwork when money is on the table. Do some really easy songs and pull off the night. Get it off the table and keep your relationship with the bar owner.

For this gig, or after this gig is over, put together a repertoire of easy songs that fit your genre. I wouldn't allow any other musicians to ever bring solo material to the band unless they sign that you can use the songs if they leave the band -- indefinitely. If they won't sign, then fooey on them -- look at all the work and upheaval this "solo artist" has caused you!!! It's not worth it to put all your hard work in anyone's basket but your own.

Also, build a network of musicians you can just call upon to do gigs when you need them. Work at getting paid gigs so no one is a pure volunteer, making you subject to their whims. Get a Youtube playlist of all your material and find ways of orienting players quickly to YOUR repertoire -- and run it like a contractor's band where you call whatever musicians you need to pull off the gig.

If I was in your shoes, when the musicians started refusing the paid gig you had originally, I would have said, OK< and then found musicians to pull off that gig for you -- maybe under a different name so as not to tick off the original members. With pay on the table, you'd actually be expanding your book of musicians for future gigs.

Good luck -- let us know how the volunteer gig goes on the Thursday evening...

ImNotJoel and Shimmi like this.
  16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If it were me, I would call the bar owner and cancel. He didnt want to have a band that night anyway, so its not really that big of a deal IMO. Better that than a trainwreck.

petrus61 and AaronVonRock like this.
  17. Lowness

Lowness Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    The first piece of advice is your communications is crap - stop texting.

I like texting (Gen X) and I know you are Gen Y, but texting has its limits - start talking and you will do better.

smeet, Torrente Cro, Shimmi and 3 others like this.
  18. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Find a veteran/seasoned guitar player and drummer in the area and play the gig. Players who are older and know lots of songs can help players get through any gig. If one won't commit then cancel the gig. I have done this for younger players and older players to help them get out of a bind.

On the lesson learned section:
    Never Book a gig unless you have a complete band committed
    Never deal with "head case" players, they always disappoint you.
    Always talk in person or on the phone with players to get a commitment

Follow the "Golden Rule",....the guy with the gold makes the rules

Good luck with your situation

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Agree with others who said cancel the gig. The bar owner isn't into it and neither are your band mates.

20. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Just wing it. Scramble up a couple sets with your sub or new guy or whatever it takes. Bring some friends. Leave your diva gui**** at home. Have fun jamming.

If you get 30 people in on what the owner thinks is a slow night, and he's paying in draft beer, he'll make money.

What's the downside? The bar is out some beers on a slow night? You don't get another gig for the band you no longer have?

If it goes well, pitch a weekly "hosted open mike". You bring your core group, and backline, small PA, play a set, then keep the open mike from deteriorating into crap. Keep it simple.

And once that's a happening thing, never let your diva, solo act, guitar player have a slot. Just keep him waiting all night.

Be bold!

Shimmi likes this.