1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

band business plan

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Quadcam, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Quadcam

Quadcam

May 8, 2009
    FL
    has anyone here ever tried something like that? I made one up the other day just kind of a guideline as to the direction I think we should be going with the band. It's a cover band but I'd like us to be a really good cover band and have some sort of a plan.

so here it is, tell me what you think. Hopefully I didnt come off as an egomaniac. I got an email from our bass player and according to him he really liked it and thought it was a great idea.

Band Business Plan

Vision- become a popular cover band within a 2-3 hr radius of Jacksonville. play good, danceable music from a variety of genres with emphasis on entertainment, showmanship and crowd participation.
    Members conduct themselves professionally (arriving on time, learning the material to the best of thier ability, working together to load in/set up/tear down gear, act professionally when dealing with club owners, booking agents, potential clients, etc.)

Goals :
    - Have fun, put on the best show that we can and set ourselves apart from the typical cover band
    - Create a strong web presence through website and social networking sites.
    - acquire professional level /reliable gear and full PA system.
    - find a reliable local sound guy
    - maintain a minimum 60 song playlist of songs to choose from
    - Steady paying gigs by April 2010
    - make a minimum of $500/gig
    - Book gigs at wedding receptions, private parties, bars/clubs, festivals and corporate events

Sources of income:
    - gigs
    - merchandise (t-shirts, stickers, etc.)

Financials: income projections(?) break even estimate (?)

Expenses: fixed expenses (?), variable expenses (food, gas, drinks, replacement parts)

Marketing plan: advertising -newspapers, promotional products, banner ads, music based website,
    press releases, interviews, message boards, blogs, press kits, e-press kits, CD demo, business cards, word of mouth, classified ads, street team, vehicle signs.

Product design-manufacture: Shirts, Stickers

Fan interaction: email lists, flyers, posters

ownership/pay/gear etc.

Decision making: Dave is the originator of the band and the band leader however, playlist, gig and rehearsal schedules will be a democratic process, each band member will have a vote and majority rules.

When discussing potential gigs with clients members should not quote a price until the gig has been discussed between all band members and everyone has come to an agreement.

gig pay should either be split evenly between band members or pooled and used toward the purchase of additional band equipment.

profit from sale of merchandise should be pooled and used to purchase/maintain band equipment.

"Bipolar Barbie" name and images are property of Dave

2. I was thinking about this topic myself. I'm a professional in my day job, so I'm used to having scheduled meetings, progress reports, memos, etc. I've been in many bands where the other players are not used to that level of organization in anything. I personally find it very difficult to deal with and, IMO, it really hurts the band's ability to succeed.

(I'm in no way passing judgment on people based on their occupation - just observing that there are many different kinds of people in the world.)

I like your plan but it appears to be a lot of "basics" like who has ownership of the name, voting for set lists, and reminding people to show up on time; and a lot of "goals" like playing 60 songs and gigs in April. I think it could be improved by having more "intermediate" objectives to connect the "basics" to the "goals".

Like: 20 songs ready to perform by Feb 2010. 40 songs ready to perform by March 2010. 60 songs ready to go in April 2010.

Like: Graphic design proposals (for merchandise, t-shirts) presented by Feb 2010 for band votes. Winning proposals should be put in final forms and presented in mid-Feb 2010. Order for merchandise should be made by March 2010 so they'll be ready in April 2010.

Like: Create a list of media/venue contacts. Decide who will repeatedly contact (pester) these people for gigs and for press. Assign that duty and get it done. (I was recently in a band that sent 50 emails per week to venues to try to get gigs. Maybe a bit much, but we're in a large city, and it seemed adequate.)

Anyway, I think this is a great idea. It will be very helpful to show examples of how successful bands manage the business at different stages of fame, different styles of music, and different markets.

3. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    Great idea. :)

You've just reminded me that I wanted to write out a business plan myself, after reading a recent post on Music Think Tank - http://www.musicthinktank.com/mtt-open/2009/7/8/how-to-write-a-music-business-plan.html

And just to echo Jason, they also have had posts on setting goals - http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/how-to-set-and-reach-your-music-goals.html

That site is an absolute goldmine of useful info, and should be daily reading for any musician taking care of the business side of things.

4. Quadcam

Quadcam

May 8, 2009
    FL
    Musky , thanks for the links...good stuff.

Jason thanks for the ideas on more details...I'll work on it a little more.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's a link you may want to check out: If I only knew then...

Also, check out the "Being in a band" link in my sig. below for some great TB info on your topic.

Good luck.

Let us know how it goes. You may want to use the thread as kinda of a blog to keep track of everything and get more advice the further into the project you get.

6. wow, great resources. I'm bookmarking and printing some of these out so I can go to my next rehearsal and PROVE I WAS RIGHT and RUB THEIR FACES IN IT! :D

7. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I'd recommend adding additional specific detail as to the makeup of the playlist and specifics on how you will "set ourselves apart from the typical cover band".

You may end up with unhappy members through the democratic process and you would like to have a pre-agreed arrangement to head that off (i.e. I don't like Prince, so I won't play any Prince songs, even though you might think they fall under good, danceable music).

I've actually just been giving some friends of mine advice this weekend that they need to have just this sort of detailed plan you've started in place before they ever go looking for other musicians for their projects.