Band compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What does Dual/Multi band compression means? I've seen it on pedals like the Digitech Bass squeeze and EBS multi comp. What difference it from other "sorts" of compression? Yay or nay? What are some good band compression pedals?
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    A multi-band compressor is exaclty what it says it is.

Instead of one compression ration over the entire range, you can have multiple ratios tuned to specific frequencies.

The Bass Squeeze ads another dimension in that you tell the compressor what the frequency isthat changes from high to low.

If you set the X-over to 1kHz, for example, all signals lower than 1 kHz will be compressed by the Low pass level. All frequenxies higher than 1kHz will be compressed by the high pass level.

Think of a normal comrpessor like a volume control. You turn a knob, and all of the levels are adjusted. Think of a multi-band compressor like an EQ, where you adjust the level of a particular frequency range.
  3. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Wow! Very good explanation bassman! Thanks :)

That bass squeeze looks interesting, better do a search and see what i can find about it...