band conflict

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dustklose, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok...heres the deal...i am in a new band who has played only a few local gigs...and we've done pretty much all coversongs. we've been writing our own songs i think we have 5 or6 done now...and my one guitarist says that if we ever play another cover song he's out of the band because pple say that we'll suck if we do covers! and me, the other guitarist like doin covers but then adding a little twist in them...our drummer..dont kare he just wants to i need some help...should we only play our own or in a concert w/ a lineup of 10-13 songs be A mixture of our own and covers??? please help
  2. Well, what are you trying to accomplish?

I don't know what your area is like, but around here, bars tend to book bands that play covers. There aren't a lot of bands with original music in this area. Our band doesn't get gigs at bars much at all, but we do play events occasionally. We do almost all covers, with a few originals thrown in for variety. People seem to respond well to that.

It sounds like your band is going two different ways, creatively, and I think you all have to evaluate where you are going. If you are trying to get gigs, covers are probably going to be good to have in your set list, at least for now. If you are trying to be a "creative" band (which may mean less gigs), focus on originals. There's nothing wrong with having a set list of both covers and originals, btw.
  3. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    were tryin to get gigs so that our band can get out there...and thats wat ive told him...that we need to have a mix so they can here songs they know and love and then also hear our true ability...but he refuses so idk....we'll just see what happenes i gues...i know he wont quit but he sure likes to threaten it...i think that we need to have mostly covers and then like 4 or 5 of our own ...
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're right, he's wrong. If you want to gig (and make money) covers are the way to go. You actually have to be very good with excellent material to have any success with originals.
  5. ...and the way to become very good at writing originals: learn lots of other peoples songs, learn their techniques, their styles, how chord structures and rhythyms really work.

The Beatles didn't write Sargeant Pepper's as their very first album. John and Paul and company played other people's songs for the first few years, and from there, they developed their songwriting techniques.

I think many guitarists jump straight into writing their own 3-chord songs because they don't have the talent or discipline to learn harder cover songs.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have a full lineup of covers. At your next gig, play a few covers to warm the crowd up, then play an original. Do not pre-announce the original, just play it. If the crowd stays on the dance floor, you have a good song. Announce it as an original! Rinse and repeat :D

If you are really lucky, in time you will be playing all originals. Good luck!
  7. it's not that hard to write good material. anyone on a site like myspace will hit your music up if you don't really sound like trash. recording quality counts a little more.
  8. +1000 what Munji said.

You have to learn to drive before you design your own car.

Once you understand how other's songs are put together, on the micro level (notes, chords, words), to the macro level (verses, chorus', bridges) you'll have the vocabulary and experience to produce an interesting song of your own.

Until then you are MUCH more likely to write songs that sound like Wish basses look.

9. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    This is so true because IMO, the original material that I've heard from bands (posting on their websites and such) just isn't very good. It is generally very, very bad.

Play covers and make your attempts at original material, but I'd be very honest about the quality before I'd stake my reputation on it.
  10. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I call BINGO!

Agree 100%