1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band contest night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by redshot, Oct 27, 2013.

1. redshot

redshot

Nov 8, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    A few months ago my band fellow guitar player signed us in in a band contest. The first prize is the opportunity to record an EP, and we couldn't say no, since we have a few originals on the way.
    I'm guessing there were more than 50 bands to enter the contest, on different days, and the bands were put in different categories, because of the different styles. We play some progressive rock/metal (mostly Pink Floyd and Dream Theater) and they still managed to "guess" we were on the death metal row... :bag:
    You can pretty much imagine all the bands playing heavy/death metal stuff and we coming a long with Another Brick in the Wall... :p

Anyhow, the room was too small, the microphones smelled like someone had just burped alcohol onto them (quite right) , and the jury was always coming in and out of the room while the bands were playing. I bet they decided the winners by coin tossing.
    For the first time in my life, I wished to lose a contest, because I wouldn't want to get back there again... ever.

This morning, the best news ever: We didn't win! :D

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Assume every battle of the bands is fixed and if the fix is not in for you, take some KY.

It won't make any difference regards the outcome, but it will hurt less.

3. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Did one a while back, and a bassist for a competitor was having probs with his rig.
    Offered mine, a (then) state-of-the-art ART Nightbass system.
    His band went on to win.
    My BL was royally pissed, blamed me for the win.
    (IMO we were outplayed)
    That was my last show with them.
    Not only did I leave, but I took the rest of the band with me.:eyebrow:
    Never, but NEVER screw with a bass player........

4. redshot

redshot

Nov 8, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    Forgot to mention that in the previous days of the contest, the other bands managed to fry the bass speaker and the guitar amp head. At least I didn't have to borrow anything...!