Band direction

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Twobass, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Hi I've been lurking on this site for a while and I decided to start posting. I'm looking for some advice, I put an ad in Craigslist looking for a cover band, and I auditioned with a band and they were what we were both looking for. So I decided to join. Well it's going alright so far not many gigs right now.

Well here's the thing now one of the members of the band wants to start writing original songs, now I have been in original bands before when I was younger, I'm 40. Right now I have zero interest in doing any original songs, after all I joined a cover band to play you know covers. I like the guys in the band, my question is how do I tell them that I don't want to do any originals.

2. KingBlue

KingBlue

May 20, 2009
    Right now I have zero interest in doing any original songs, after all I joined a cover band to play you know covers

simple and nice. Try to open the conversation pretty serious too make sure not to surprise them. But im baffled on why you wouldn't want to make your own music?

3. How does the rest of the band feel about doing originals? Maybe tell them what you just told us and suggest maybe a side project made up of interested parties for the originals?

4. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    I have done originals in the past and I have enjoyed it. I just think this point in my life I'm just not interested in doing originals with this band. We talked last night and the guitarist is the one that really wants to do originals, I do like the side project idea. I also think that if you are in a cover band the people that see you don't want to hear an orignial song, I think.

5. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Most cover bands are hired solely for covers. Some do three or four then one original in similar style, but the hiring venues generally know about this ahead of time.

6. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

+1

I was a songwriter in a cover band. To maintain what we were and emphasize covers, we only did one original song per set. They were the cream of the crop and fit into the music we were covering. I can't imagine getting away with much more than that and still billling yourself as a cover band.

Now, you can work up two sets of playlists; one set of playlists for when you book yourself as a cover band and are expected to play covers, the other for when you book yourself as an originals band and you put more emphasis on the originals. You will find the "originals" angle gets you a lot different kind of gigs than the "covers" angle.

Your concern is well-founded and it warrants discussion with your bandmates.

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Indeed. Cover band gigs and original band gigs are very different.

8. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes the original band gigs usually don't pay as well as the cover gigs.

9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

That and they take place at different venues with different audiences.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I do covers. My guitar player has a real talent for writing songs too. He does goofy Zappaesque lyrics and writes some very tasty chord progressions.

We've performed several of his tunes, (Well our tunes. It's a collaborative thing.) and one song in particular gets played at just about every gig. It's a crowd pleaser. We have another one in the works that I think shows promise presently, but we'll see what an audiance thinks.

So, IME some original stuff can work well in a cover band situation. You just need to be very sure that the audiance response is enthusiastic.

If you are playing cover tunes that people enjoy, and then throw in a set of originals that nobody wants to listen too, you just killed your band.

Give it a shot, but don't try to shove your original stuff down peoples throats. If it doesn't get a positive response by the third time you play it, drop it and move on. That's true for any song. If a tune tends to clear the dance floor, you should consider pulling the plug on that tune.

11. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Well it looks like I'm going to be quitting this band soon, on top of the originals our mediocre singer wants to do is cover songs that he likes and he like heavy songs. Now I don't mind that but it just doesn't go over at most places.

12. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Best line of the month. This could be a great...what, blues song? Country song? That, or maybe Easiest Job In The World or something. I just love that whole concept.

(Not pickin' on ya, Electra. I was just tickled by the line.)

13. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    A couple originals would be ok. we are in a similar situation but for different reasons. we all have serious day jobs and active lifes. we agreed to gig about twice a month, but as we get better and more popular the rest want to gig more. I fear my time with them may be over soon. its a shame, we have a blast! I have expressed my thoughts but they dont think I'm serious. My take is to tell them how you feel, let them know where you stand. go from there.

14. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Well I have talked to them and emailed the band a lot and they just want to play what they want to hear. I told them you have to cater to what other people want to hear, even a little bit, they don't want to do that so I'm done. A friend of mine asked me to be in a band with him and a singer that I have already played with before. The singer is real good probably the best singer I've ever worked with so leaving this band is not a big deal. Also these guys are on the same page that I'm on we want to play songs that people want to hear and have some fun and make money also.

The reason I didn't want to do originals is that's not what they wanted, they said they were a cover band. Then a few months later they want to do originals, well I didn't sign up for that. So I have no problem quitting, hopefully I have some better luck with the next band.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021