1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band Drama - New Band Same Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oldrocker, Apr 15, 2009.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    OK, so I finally got away from the psycho guitar player that broke up the band 3 times in one year and then cursed me out because I wouldn't come back and play with him.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521465&highlight=

I hooked up with a couple of other guitar players and we played a few shows. There was always some underlying tension. 1 drummer quit. We replaced him and kept going.

In the past week I heard from both guitar players. They each want to dump the other guitar player and continue with me and the drummer and find a new guitar player.

One guitar player (also the singer) picks songs to impress people and tends to show off. He's 40 not 14, he's pretty good but not good enough to show off. He also tends to forget song structure while showing off - leading to some interesting arrangements and covering up by the rest of the band. The other guitar player is not quite as good, no vocals, but his musical tastes align more with mine.

Why do I always seem to find disfunctional situations.

I just want to play Mustang Sally, Soul Man, Born Under a Bad Sign some Stones and Creedence a couple of times a month in front of folks who are having a good time.

Am I asking too much?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Apparently. Keep a whiffle ball bat up on stage with you and whack the offender up long 'side the head. For that fact, whack each of them a good shot before the first note is played....kind of a pre-emptive strike.

If that doesn't work, you can always try something stupid.

Riis

3. No you aren't. Same place where I am at. Although I am playing more the hard rock classic rock stuff.

I left my last band which was an all original heavy rock act because a couple of the guys were really starting to take things a little too serious. I take playing music serious but I have no illusions of where things are at at the age of 45. No stars in my eyes. It became more a part time job than a fun filled hobby.

It can be challenging finding a group of guys that are all on the same wavelength. Luckily I am playing in power trio now and we are all on the same wavelength. Really cool. And good guys to boot.

4. you're not asking too much- all anyone wants is to be HAPPY playing in a band. Don't we do this for pleasure? :)

Seriously, you've got an issue between guitar players... sounds like they need to sort that out if they're both going to stay. Either way, time for a serious sitdown and just air your complaints- i think you show off too much, etc. Unless you're the band leader you really can't tell him NOT to show off, but if everyone in the band vocalizes that they're against the way he composes himself on stage he might change. He might not. Be prepared to fire him or just live with it and possibly lose the other guitar player.

BTW i didn't say my suggestion would be easy...

5. Houston

Houston

Oct 28, 2004
    Zooberwerx:

"If that doesn't work, you can always try something stupid."

Funniest thing I've ever read on here!

6. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    You are asking too much.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You're asking and no one is answering.

Gotta put everything on the line with these guys and let them know how you want things to run.

Tell them this needs to be a "fun" thing for everyone. Work out their parts and get back to gigging.

You might want to take a look at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429034 If I only knew then.. and to help you figure out some details of how you want the band to run and go from there.

8. I'd get rid of both of them and start over again with your drummer!

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

+111

Sounds like the most logical solution. Be VERY descriptive in what you're looking for when finding newd gui****ists. They're like rats... they'll find you if you put out cheese.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Have to agree with you there. Tell it like it is; you'll probably get one of two responses:

#1) "Gee, we never realized...thanks for the concern"

OR

#2) "@!%&#!! You don't know what you're talking about! Hey...is that a whiffle ball bat?"

Either way, you'll at least know where you stand.

Riis

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    We have to play Satriani and I hate it. Our guitar player is good enough to show off. Prolbme is, no one cares. I'd leave the showoff in a heartbeat.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Fixed! :D

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You guys are freakin funny!!!!! I'm on the way RIGHT NOW to go get a WIFFLE BALL BAT! (I'm not even kidding)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
    I would hook up with the OTHER (the ones who are on the way OUT of each band) two guitar players and the drummer who left and start a band. If that doesn't work, pack up and leave Long Island and come to eastern NC. You can't swing a dead cat without hittng a band like that around here. (no offense to cat lovers)

14. Sounds like you and the drummer need to have a meeting - either go off together and forget BOTH the guitarists, or agree between yourselves which one is easiest to work with and keep him!

15. brilliant.........

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Brother, some areas suck for musicians with mature tastes and attitudes! Welcome to my world! I can't find a band worth my while no matter how hard I try. The band's I want to be in already have bassists who seem to never quit or retire! I just want to play R&B and Funk......is that asking too much???

If I had the practice space, I'd start my own band!

17. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    I wouldn't neccesarily call your situation 'drama'. There will always be some problem that needs to be looked at or fixed.

We are currently having a similair problem with the bridge in a certain song. At the last gig I suggested that we either learn the song or not play it at all. That's all I can do.

18. Old-
    You should decide:
    *if you're going to raise these guys all over again, teaching them how to behave in a band, how to function as a group....
    *or find another band with some mature individuals.
    Don't be a part of the band drama. Doesn't sound like you enjoy that sort of thing.

19. jcullen24

jcullen24

Apr 11, 2009
    Denton, TX

0..o

:bassist: Hmm will I get more gigs playing newd! :eek:

20. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    ^^ Publicity won't be a problem!