1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Fading - How to Prepare to Move On?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm getting the feeling my main band of the last 4 years is about to fizzle out. #1 our drummer with whom I started the band quit last month, #2 we have less than one weekend a month booked from now through the end of the year and #3 nobody really seems that motivated to push for additional gigs or really, even play the gigs we already have booked.

So, what to do? I would really hate to drop off the scene just cause this one band has run its course. I've got a good "rep" and network in the area and have played quite a few sub gigs the last 4 years but nothing that would develop into anything permanent as far as I can see. I've actually thought about posting in the area music stores something to the effect of "Veteran Bassist available for short-term substitutions or one-off gigs" -- hoping to at least keep somewhat visible on the scene and keep some money coming in -- with the added provision that I would consider a permanent commitment if the right situation were presented.

I really want to be playing more than one or two nights a month -- and if this band folds in the next few months I don't want to be sitting there with nothing in the pipeline. But I'm not sure how good of form it is to be out aggressively soliciting other gigs before my band has officially pulled the plug.

Thoughts from those who have been there (or not)?

2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    That's exactly where I'm at. I kept trying to get everybody to do what bands do until it was obvious that it had run its course. Main guy is too busy with other stuff, no hard feelings. Its just time for something new.

So, I asked all the guys I knew for ideas, prepared for and went and auditioned with another group, followed up with some more work. I told them I was willing to make them the one band. The job is mine if I want it.

I did an open mike or two, but that wasn't really happening, though I don't think it was a bad idea.

Get out your list, make the calls.

Good luck!

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Thanks... I've been thinking of checking out the open mics... really had been too busy all these years to even go. I used to do them years ago and I know there are pitfalls but it's how I wound up in my first real band.

4. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Generally speaking, letting go of a past opportunity allows space for a new one to come along. With the experience gained from the previous it is easier to judge the quality of the new. Not that its an easy thing to do. Open mics seems to be where I met the people I know.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I think doing the right thing in putting your name out. The guys that you've subbed for may not have a permanent need for you now, but they may know someone who does; give them a shout out. I spend a lot of time just emailing contacts I haven't talked to in a couple of months, just to keep my name out there for them.

The only other things I can say is to be patient. If you keep your name out there, your rep and network connections WILL pay off.

6. i'd be looking for another project on the side ....what is accomplished by going down with the ship.....if they have already given up,how can it be said that you are letting them down.....i doubt that all the time you have invested was not in aid of watching the thing crumble....grab what you can,and leave the doors open in case they decide to reinvigorate the band

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah... the interesting thing is that a few weeks ago I played a pick-up gig with some other area musicians (each of which I had played with before, but never all in this combination), and with only two nights of rehearsal we were already the best band I'd ever been in. We killed the gig and are already invited to come back and do it again next year. But since then it hasn't gone anywhere. All of us knew it was a happening combination and I would love for that to become my new #1 band, but I don't know if all the others feel the same way... or at least, are in a position to prioritize this new thing over the other projects they've got going.

As for the band I'm in now... they actually have been really busy the last couple of years (in fact earlier this year we did 5 weekends in a row), and people knew I was gigging a lot with them and didn't have a lot of time to give to other projects. In fact I had to turn down a few sub gigs last year for that very reason. So I guess now my job is to just make it known that things have changed, and that I am not only available for other opportunities, but actively looking.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe a band meeting is in order?

Do you have ads out for a replacement?

How many gigs have you booked for the band?

Probably because there's no motivation coming from you.

Again, band meeting

How about stepping up and becoming the leader of the band instead of figuring out the best way to bail?

OTOH, if you want to let it go, let it go. Don't fret over it. Be honest about it to your bandmates and let everyone move on.