Band fired drummer, not happy. Should I walk?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Whether he was fired or quit is kind of debatable. But regardless, the guitar player and him just did not work well together and eventually had a blowout and really couldn't work it out. I am friends with both of them but I doubt they will ever play together again.

I see why they didn't get along, but both were in the wrong in certain ways.

I really think the drummer is good. I am not sure what to do. We are auditioning a new drummer tomorrow.

I get that the drummer was tough to get along with a lot of the time. The guy had a lot of quirks for sure. However, he had a lot of heart, worked hard, was an amazing drummer, and even hauled the equipment.

I previously posted about fighting with my band about pay to play. I am very much against it and would like to be promoting our own shows and getting other local bands on the ticket but these guys (minus drummer) seem to really like doing pay to play. I think a big part of why we are no longer all together is because of pay to play.

I like our music (original metal), but don't want to do pay to play and I don't like that the drummer is out. I am pretty sure I am going to walk but I am curious as to what you guys think. Thanks.

2. LowFish

LowFish

Nov 8, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Walk!! Life is waaaaaay too short to do pay to play! These cats have already gone behind your back on the pay to play.

Tbone76, mikeyjm2, AltGrendel and 5 others like this.
  3. +1. You'll be next to get fired anyway.

40Hz, obimark, Roberto Nunez and 4 others like this.
  4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    run! run!

jerry, awilkie84 and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  5. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    The doors of future and better opportunities won't open until you close this one.
    It's scary being bandless but it won't be for long.

Tbone76, vilshofen, brbadg and 2 others like this.
  6. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    What the others have said.

Furthermore, dude....you know how hard it is to find a good, professional metal drummer?!?!

Metal guitarists on the other hand, you can close your eyes and throw a rock....

7. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    Alabama
    not if you want a good one that is also good at writing and composing. my favorite genre is metal, but ironically I don't like most metal bands because a lot (most) of them plain suck.

Grumry likes this.
  8. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    If you decide to leave the current band, start a new one with the drummer. Like someone said before, a good metal drummer is hard to find.
    I would also add that a good drummer for just about every style of music is hard to find.

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    "Oh you had better go now. Go now. Go now. Go now."
    – The Moody Blues, Go Now (1964)

10. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    I always thought pay to play was to prove you could draw enough people. Or to showcase your band. I guess that's just not the case.

Session1969 likes this.
  11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    The Emily Post Book of Etiquette clearly states on page 143:
    3.a If you are a bass player and the drummer is fired from your band, the proper response is to rage quit as soon as possible. Greeting cards are not required, and in fact might be considered offensive.

So there you have it.

12. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    Fire the drummer....

Oh, wait.....

13. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Lol! I kinda want to but i will probably just non-rage quit ...

14. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Go.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sounds like a mess all around...run!

16. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Pay to play. Exploiting the metal scene since 1976 :rollno::rage:

17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    And here's why. Metal music is mostly a guy thing. Chics like bands that play pop/dance music and will go where they are. Dudes go where the chics are. Bar owners hire bands that will bring in the chics.
    Evidence - Why do you think bars have ladies nights?
    Please understand I'm not knocking metal, I like some of it. I'm just stating a business reality.

18. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    There are plenty of chicks at metal shows.

I went to see slayer, anthrax and death angel this past Tuesday night (yeah in the middle of the week even) at the hard rock in Orlando and the crowd split was probably 60/40 dudes. Of course, a good dance pop band will have more like a 70/30 chick split....and any cover band situation at a bar that's what you hope for....but don't just believe that it's a massive sausage fest at metal shows. Hell at Rockville in Jacksonville every year, a metal festival, I'd be willing to say it may be 50/50.

Edit: admittedly, this is a semi- new development. Back in my day...metal shows were totally dominated by guys. 5:1....easily. and you did say MOSTLY.

brbadg, Roberto Nunez and Duder like this.
  19. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Walk.

20. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Concert crowds and dance crowds are different. Chics will go to concerts to see famous bands, but they don't typically seek out local metal venues. They may like metal, but metal isn't dance music.

Roberto Nunez and NigelD like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021