Band fired drummer, not happy. Should I walk?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    you play to pay, not the other way around.
    Stay in the band and check the new drummer. Maybe the new guy is Portnoy himself.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  2. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    To quote Pantera exactly: Walk. I'm sorry it's come to this, but I do think you should try to set something up with the drummer if you two get along. It's really hard to find a good drummer.

3. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    You could try starting a new band with the drummer, but you're going to run into the same problem as before. At some point the drummer is gonna peeve off the other players. And then you're back to square one.

No matter how good the drummer is, if he's really difficult to work with, people will either walk away, or fire him. Every single time.

My advice is to stay in the band, see what new drummers you can find, and keep an eye on the guitarist. Their egos tend to be large and fragile. If the band keeps firing drummers, then you've got a bigger problem.

4. Quit. Form a duo with the drummer.

5. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Kinda torn between starting new band with drummer or staying with band and seeing who they can find. We are supposed to be auditioning a guy tonight so I will see how it goes.

6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Why not both? Unless your available time is a factor.

Mantis Tobaggan and mikeyjm2 like this.
  7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Quit and start a new band with the drummer. Make sure that you are large and in charge so that any guit-fiddle players can't take over.

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Like I said in your pay to play thread: Sounds like it's time for a new BL.
    Control freaks always end up pulling the pin on their own band grenade.

9. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'd stay w/ the drummer and walk. From what I've read from you in the past you and he are more eye to eye than you and the remaining band now that he's been fired. As a bass player, if you find a drummer who is really good and you get along with do what you can to stick with that drummer.

10. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Of course, you have to walk. They fired the drummer...that's YOUR prerogative!

Seriously though, changing drummers in the current band isn't liable to put paid (if you'll pardon the near pun) to the whole pay to play issue. I know I wouldn't be sticking around to break in a new drummer for the purpose of playing pay to play gigs that I had no truck with, and less interest in.

11. Yes

12. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    If I recall the drummer was on your side of the court when it came to the whole pay to play debacle a couple months ago. If he got fired/quit/walked that kinda leaves you as the only person with that stance.

I haven't really suggested much either way in any of the other threads you've posted, but that ends now.

Walk. Run. Scramble. Sprint. Eject. Time to pick up sticks and move the hell out, sir.

13. Original metal will all be pay to play. Suggestion... Either deal with that or play something people dance to.

14. A drummer I liked for one of my bands moved away. Got replaced by a guy that couldn't really play and I didn't like much anything about it. Memory sucked, timing sucked, feel sucked, wasn't practicing at home, drinking a lil too much at gigs, etc. I tried to voice it without cause too much ruckuss, but I was so dissatisfied I really couldn't hide it. I was almost fired, and almost quit.

If you become displeased enough, it will be noticeable, and like someone else said, you'll be the next one gone. Suck it up, or get out. Life's not over regardless of which way you go.

I chose to suck it up. Band went on hiatus, and the guitar man and I have replaced everyone else, including the drummer. Guess who's playing drums? The guy I liked in the first place. He's moving back next week.

100% of the time things work out sometimes lol.

15. How does a drummer and guitar player not get along? They don't even have to really pay much attention to each other. Not as much as a bassist anyway.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Guitarists are a dime a dozen.

Drummers are a dime apiece.

All factors being equal (and they're not from what you've described) you'd be crazy not to go with your drummer.

17. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Dude, just quit. There have been issues with the band before and the drummer is a good guy. Leaving and starting something with him is the right choice here.

18. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I've often found that the bass player's role in the band is the same personally as it is musically. They hold things together.

EdO., mikeyjm2 and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  19. climber

climber

Oct 21, 2006
    cut your losses and walk... maybe even hook up with the drummer again.

who wrote the original tunes?

20. Is that an Emily post?:cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021