Band fired drummer, not happy. Should I walk?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Spoken like someone who hasn't been to a local metal show in the past 10 years.

This may still be the way things are out in the sticks, but having just returned from a PNW tour with an original metal band based in San Francisco, I can say with certainty that in major metropolitan areas on the West coast the crowd ratios are more often than not approaching 50/50 chicks/dudes.

I can only assume this trend is happening elsewhere in the country (and the world).

obimark and Tanner5382 like this.
  2. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    See my above post, but replace "50/50" with "100/0" and "chicks/dudes" with "not pay to play/pay to play."

3. Let me put in terms you can understand...

RE-
    SPECT-
    WALK-
    Yes I'm talking to you!

Seriously though, dip. These dudes are gonna be a thorn in your side. You've worked way to hard to pay somebody to listen to you. Go find your audience.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    No, I haven't, but I've been gigging and I see what kinds of bands are getting gigs and attendance. It may be regional, but around here Dallas/Fort Worth Texas (not in the sticks), it is country and rock. There are four or five pay-to-play venues where the metal bands play and they have to sell tickets to their friends and family to make any money at all. They usually don't. There is constant wailing about how these place rip bands off.
    There may be some clubs that book metal bands, but I haven't run across them. But thankfully, I'm not in one of the half dozen major metropolitan areas on the left coast.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I'm a working Top 40/variety/dance/jazz player so really my opinion doesn't matter here, but I would like to add one thing:

If they fired the drummer without consulting you about, that is a big no-no ----- The bass player should always be consulted when dealing with the future of a drummer. If they let the drummer go without discussing rhythm section implications with me first, I'd be angry just on that fact alone..............

EdO. likes this.
  6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    No, its my post. That dumb*ass Gravedigger can't spell.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsF74KXhtuCbCCL78K8eJ4ec_bedd5jIqjEy_CgzvS-K3KEI0tmA.jpg

7. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    In my area, Central New York, it's Country, Rock (all flavors), and Blues covers in that order. Followed distantly by any original music including metal. As far as your position in the band, I would leave. Especially if you don't agree with the pay-to-play thing. You are very lucky to have found a drummer you can groove with. Go with him, and find some other like-minded folks. Don't forget - you are the BASSIST! You will always have work. If you are at all talented, knowledgeable, and flexible, that is. Don't sell yourself short and stay in a position that doesn't make you happy. Bands come and go, but a great rhythm section will always have a place to land.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well stated. This is true in so many aspects of life. We often fear letting go of something we hate because it is at least familiar. Give me new and different every time. New may not be any better than the old. But it might be! I'll take that chance every time.

This current project is obviously a source of stress for you. Just liking the music isn't enough. Let it go and move on. A fresh start is on order here! But don't fear it. Embrace it! Get after it! ENJOY it!

9. As soon as your band gets a new drummer, fire him too!

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

A question I would ask myself (and therefore a guess) was the fact the drummer was hard to get along with situational? maybe he is easier to work with in a different situation. I would also ask myself how much of him I could tolerate. Start a side project with the drummer. The guitar doesn't sound like a prize either, and the reality could very well be you get fired or motor on your own.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've worked with two guys like that. I was in a couple of bands with each of them and all of them ended badly. I still like playing with both of them, just not on a regular basis.

Give the new drummer a chance.

12. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    If even firing the drummer doesnt work out the band is beyond saving :p

13. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Keep jamming with the old drummer and try to start something new, as well as trying out the new drummer and seeing if that clicks. In that order, if time is limited.

14. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I get what you are saying. The drummer says he didn't quit but he was also getting really fed up and he did refuse to play the last gig. (P2P, and one of the guys drove down there to pay the promoter anyway :bored:). The guy he spoke with swears that he quit so it isn't exactly clear if they fired him behind my back. They probably would have though anyway b/c guitar and drummer almost got in a fight, until I diffused the situation by using words.

15. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    The guitar player. And he is a good writer in my opinion.

16. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Sometimes firing a member and getting a new one actually improves the band. I did that to a guitar player a few years ago and a ton of really good stuff came out of it -- a better guitar player everyone liked better, a new band concept that sold better, and a lot less tension between members in the band. I wouldn't walk unless you get a drummer who can't keep time, and the band continues to have problems.

17. If you are unhappy and want to continue working with the drummer you pretty much answered your own question.
    You and the drummer start your own band. Clicking with a drummer as a bass player is something that is built, you have already built the foundation with this drummer. Them getting a new drummer, means you need to start from scratch. Unhappy, Amazing drummer, hauling equipment (team player) would = me walking if it were my situation

18. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Fire the next drummer then walk. Don't let these punks upstage you. Show these mother shagers who's boss.

19. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I want to add that when I fired a member of the band a few years ago, the other two band members agreed to it, but then silently, in the sidebar conversations with each other said they didn't like it. One guy joined with the fired band member and played in two bands -- mine, and the guitarist's new band. The two guys left in my band wanted me to bring the guy back and I disagreed -- they were not considering my needs, the guy's temperamental and oppositional attitude, and the hassles he was causing me as band leader; they only considered their own position.

I held my ground and made it work. So, if I were you, I'd give the guy who did the firing time to shore up the band with a drummer who is a better fit and has the chops to hold down the band's time.

20. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah it's a tough call. Im hanging out with my band in 30 minutes and will decide tonight.

Duder likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021