Band fired drummer, not happy. Should I walk?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Finding metal guitarists is easy. Finding metal drummers is impossible. Follow that drummer.

2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I think you might have missed the point of my post though -- I indicated you might give the band time to adjust to a new drummer. Sometimes you can end up in a better position that you were before....so I'd hesitate to decide tonight as you haven't given the guy doing the firing time to make adjustments. His needs are important too, so if he couldn't get along with the drummer (and he, the guy doing the firing) doesn't have any glaring personality deficits that are a repetitive cause of such conflict, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for a while.

3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    All of these, "drummers are hard to find" or "guitarists are hard to find" comments are very subjective and quite possibly inaccurate and unhelpful for the OP. There's no less than 2 dozen drummers and guitarists that play metal, and play it well in my hometown. Is there a shortage of either- no. Is that helpful by any means to the OP, no.

OP, follow your gut. Members entering or leaving a band should never be a vague, unclear thing. If you don't have accurate information, and weren't a part of the decision, then there is a glaring issue.

If the drummer has quirks that other people don't tolerate, then it may not change with other members if you join him. Likewise, the remaining members have no problem making band decisions without you, so are you even in the band, or just a free fill-in?

You should have a sit down and find out where you stand with the remaining members before you suffer the same fate. Above all, remain positive. Life may be short, but it's still plenty long enough to hold out for a better opportunity.

PauFerro likes this.
  4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    What did you do to get the drummer fired?

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  5. This from an old guy...

I've always assumed we've gotten into music because we enjoy playing music.

If it's not enjoyable.... make it so.

EdO., Mantis Tobaggan and PauFerro like this.
  6. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Good point. I figured this out after a few years of tolerating a lot of crap from a couple members of a band. Then I realized that whenever there was money on the table, and I made a few phone calls, I'd have my pick of 4 guys for just about any gig that came up. What did that mean -- Oversupply! Now their demands for high pay have me quoting their band at the rates they want, along with a couple different related bands at market rate, but lower rates of pay, and they rarely get gigs Other guys do. They have gotten a lot more responsive and easy to work with as a result.

So, unless you know for sure you are short on particular instruments in a certain town, I would not assume there's no one out there who can do better in your group.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021