Band Fundraising Ideas

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Whitebread, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Howdy, my band is planning on touring this summer and in order to do so we are going to need a van and a trailer. Being a bunch of college and high school students, none of us have much money to begin with, so we are trying to find ways to gather the money we need.

We make some money from playing shows and selling merch, but being a little known band in Kansas that doesn't play covers, the pay isn't so great. We've started giving blood plasma and are going to sell whatever valuable possessions we have (not much).

I'd really appreciate any ideas or experiences you all have about raising money.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get real jobs...?
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    That'd be the easiest. In like a month you'd have plenty.
  4. Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    The thing is, most of us do have real jobs, but they aren't good paying jobs (being students) and almost all the money we have goes towards living expenses and gear, though we have been contributing what money of our own we can afford. Just looking for any creative ideas anyone may have.
  5. High school students you say? Sell t-shirts, and lots of them. Come out with two new designs every month or so. If you do heat transfers, you can get away with pretty much just making what you need. When I was in high school, my friend made a couple hundred bucks selling t shirts for a band that pretty much no one had heard. It was a small school and the band was terrible, but they were the only game in town, so people bought the shirts. If you can actually play shows and sound decent, you'll be able to do great.
  6. Dude, please realise that unless you are doing the utmost to promote these shows, and have alot of people backing you promo wise (being a "little known band from Kansas"), that you will be playing these shows and prolly not even get gas money. I'd hate to have someone stuck in the middle of nowhere with a rented van and no gas money to get back.

Planning. Schmoosing club owners. (albeit small) $guarantees$. Talk to all the area local radio. Chat up and send press kits and whatnot to all the local colleges...and their radio stations.

Are you touring with anyone? If so, caravan's and sharing gear are good ideas.

Not being too helpful with $$$ making ventures, I know, but just make sure you don't go at this blind.

7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Don't sell what little valuables you have man. No offense, but that sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Keep selling plasma & using whatever kind of money you make from gigs you currently play (regardless of how little it is) and save it until you have enough to do the tour. You all could also get part time jobs to help get the funds to do the tour. Once you have enough money for the tour you can quit the part time jobs.

I say this because I too once sold off almost every valuable possession I had and only wound up regretting later.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Be careful! It's very easy to go out on a tour expecting the world (or even to get by) and have things go south quick. One vehicle breakdown and you're screwed if you're on that tight of a budget and the general rule on the road is if somethings gonna break down it will. Now I'm not saying don't go out there, cause eventually pretty much everyone has to do it. But never go on a tour with less money than you can lose. S far as making money goes, when I first started touring I played alot of cover gigs for $ and did a bunch of street performing. The street playing can be great, especially if you have a cd or shirts to go along with it. And the same thing with tour. There's been many nights when I'd make more money selling product than from the club. And jsut remember to plan the tour better than you've ever planned anything in your life. Be realistic about where you go both financially and career wise. It makes no sense to go florida for some crappy gigs for low $ if you don't plan on getting back there within a decent timeframe to capitalize on your previous gig. I like to take the "touring with concentric circles" approach.
    Do a small regional tour or two and then use those gigs to return to and fund going a little further etc etc... Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to discourage anything here, I'm just saying what has worked and what has left me in a bad situation far from home. Good luck, touring can be the most fun and the worst thing ever.
  9. Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Thanks everyone for all the advice about touring and money, it is greatly appreciated. Well, we got a year loan from our guitarists sister, interest free, to purchase the van and trailer. So things are much less urgent now and we will hopefully be getting our van this weekend. We are all greatly looking forward to touring for the first time and are preparing as much ahead of time as possible and are aware that we are as likely to lose money as we are to make it. Once again, thanks for all the input.
  10. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is a VERY nice sister. You guys owe her big time. Dedicate your first album to her.
  11. +1 and honestly i would try to give her a little interest for her time, its only fair
  12. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Garage sale?

Thats what my band did anyway when we needed a PA. We plan to have another one to go into a studio this summer.

Whats your band name I'm from KS.
  13. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Good man. You have discovered one of the secrets: An Investor. Not a bad rate, either! :)