1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band has no drummer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lacuga, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Lacuga

Lacuga

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Connecticut
    Hi, TBers,

I am a relatively new player (~2 years). I joined a local covers band about 18 months ago. Nice group of guys, good lead singer. The problem is that our BL can't/won't find or hang on to a drummer. There's always a problem of one sort or another, usually a personality conflict. Our BL is a wanna-be drummer, but he's not good enough to play in a band setting.

As a new player, I am torn here. This is a pretty laid back group, which is good for me. They took me when when I knew next to nothing and have been very supportive. And I know that it's important to be in a band to help build my chops. The BL is a good organizer and (other than the drummer issue) handles things well.

On the other hand, I don't have a pocket to play in. Our rhythms are all over the place, and I think it may be hindering my development and feel. I have enough on my plate as a relative newbie without having to shoulder the responsibility of managing the rhythm alone. As a result of our being drummer-less, we are drifting to more acoustic-type stuff, which music I am not in love with. Finally, since I have limited practice/rehearsal time, staying with this band eats into my available playing time.

Should I stick with the group for now, since any band is better than none (for a newbie)? Or, should I ditch it in favor of more woodshed time? (For the record, really WILL take advantage of the extra time to practice and learn more.)

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

2. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    You can't resolve the issue with your BL and drummers. Some people just won't change, at least until they have a huge incentive for doing so.

You can keep playing with these guys, and look for another band at the same time.

Keep in mind, this is the first of many bands you will play in. I know this issue seems like a big deal right now, but it's not.

3. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    I was in the same position in an originals band that needed a drummer which the BL just wouldn't find except fill-ins on occasion. I quit and found other bands to play with.

4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Switch to acoustics. Now you are a folk act.

5. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    +1 Very well stated.

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
  8. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Maybe a conversation with the BL is in order. "You guys took me in and helped me a lot. Maybe we need to do the same with a drummer that may have good timing, but doesn't have the chops yet. He'll learn chops. If we can't do that, then get a drum machine or I'm out.

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    How has the rotation if drummers effected your gigs?

Blue

10. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Go and buy yourself a cheap drum machine or device with pre-programmed in drum settings. You may not get all the starts and stops you need, but you will be able to play with it until you find a drummer.

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Strap some drum triggers to your feet, kick for right foot snare on the left foot.

12. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    I think you should stick with the band and look for something else as well.
    Playing without a drummer does essentially give you the majority of responsibility for keeping time and will definitely make things more difficult for you but you will benefit greatly from this in the end. Just remember to always practice with a metronome at home

13. Just tell the BL that if he doesn't settle on a drummer any time soon, that you're going to look elsewhere. That just might give him an incentive.

14. Lacuga

Lacuga

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Connecticut
    We're basically gig-less. That's part of the problem. BIG effect. No rhythm = no gigs.

15. Lacuga

Lacuga

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Connecticut
    Good idea. Honestly, I am such a newb I had no idea a drum machine could work to support a band.

16. Lacuga

Lacuga

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Connecticut
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. This is why TB is so great. I really do appreciate your thoughts and amusing comments.