Band Hospitality: Is your band nice to the newbcomers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Last year my Social Studies teacher taught me about how most older folk have a want to help younger folks out. For example, you're nice to a successful business man, he gives you an internship and helps pay for your college.

So I'm wondering, how nice are the bands in your area to the other bands? If I were to play with you, put on a good show and give a good turn out, would you suggest a club bookin' my band when they have an open slot? If you simply heard my band's music and liked it, would you try to get us booked with your band at a random show?

Any stories of your band helping some up and comers? Any stories of you getting hooked up by another band?

I'm asking this partially to find out what help is out there, and to see if there's a chance my band could find a "big brother" out there.
  2. My band is definitly has some of the nice ppl I ever know. Every single one of us hope we can improve our local music scene. But not everybody in this area are like that, when we were starting, there was band in our school that was pretty famous in the area, didn't want to do a show with us just because we don't sounds emo/pop. That was really disappointing. But now things are actually starting to get together, we got some bands to play with us in April. I am looking forward to that. :hyper:
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Where I am (Kansas City) there is a very healthy jamband scene, and for the most part everyone is nice to each other. Bands are pretty diplomatic and there is plenty of gig swapping that goes on.

I see that you're from St Louis and every band I've met from there is of an equal mindset. Every one of them were more than happy to have bands out to St Louis, let us crash on floors/couches and generally make KC people feel welcome. In return, we did the same and at least one of those bands is doing very well for themselves whenever they come out here (monthly) to play.

What kind of music does your band do?
  4. Oh hey, thanks for the great responses, things seem to be warming up a bit.

I'd describe my band as if you took Weezer, made them play clean only (no distortion tones here), made the basslines a little more melodic (think Say It Ain't So), and bumped down the creativity a couple notches, you'd have my band.

If you've ever heard of the Creepy Crawl, they have a little "battle of the bands" every month, and right now my originals band is working up enough material to play that (30 minutes). We're about 2/3 done.

Sorry about the large band info!

Please keep the stories coming!
  5. che990

Feb 19, 2005
    hey guys our band likes to think we are hospital, we set up gigs with other bands however on our first gig we got a good response a band which were of an older age (i'm 13) the got peeved and decided to nick my guitarist brand new £20 foot switch and leads after our set had finsihed. You may be asking how we know this, the sound guy notcied the switch was in my guitarists bag during the show afterwards he went back to find the other guitarist bag full of leads and his footswitch. We got the things back and the other band denied everything.
  6. Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    We're always nice to other musicians, and always say hi and shake hands and be respectful. We always try to get the gear off the stage without too much fuss to make way for the next band, or stay and watch and applaud the other's just polite. We're careful about helping other musicians to get shows though as we've been burned a few times. Recently we had someone come up and do an opener for us but the manager of the venue didn't like them as they were just a solo artist and the crowd didn't really care for them, and it kind of reflected on us, so now we just let people book their own shows.
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my band is pretty nice to people on our scene. i'm usually the one who gets to be the *******(like if we are getting dicked around by a promoter or by another band)because when i speak my mind, people usually listen. most people i know though in bands, i'm friends with. unless you ****ed me or my band over or talked **** on me or my band.
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'd definitely go "way" out of my way to help an up and coming band, assuming they were good people. In that equation, there's "talent", but that's the least of my concerns. I live in the LA area, and talent is a dime-a-dozen out here. There's so many talented people that will never get past square one, it's not even funny. Most of the time, it's an "ego" thing, but sometimes it's more basic than that.

I've been playing the bass for almost forty years now, and I've been "helped" by some wonderful people. I could rattle off a long list, but that's not the point. The point is, when I was out there smoking pot and doing dope and generally making a fool of myself, people weren't willing to help me, even though I had talent up the ying-yang.

On the other hand, people who are only "marginally" talented, but can get along with other musicians, will get the good gigs, and the helping hand up the ladder. That's been my experience. People can tell if you're dedicated to the music. :)
  9. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    The bands in my town are all super nice and we help each other out. We have 3 bands in my high school and we try and put each other on the bill as much as possible. I'm even recording one of the bands and my guitarist and drummer let them use stuff for free and they gave them pointers. I think thats really the only way you can make a music scene in you area.
  10. Tim Cole, you obviously seem to be out of high school, so I can see there being a little less connection between yourself and other bands, but why are you against helping other bands?

I can tell you that if I ever got decently big, I'd try to get a decent local act to open for me as much as I could. Musicians are all in a not-so-good situation, we gotta help each other out, in my opinion.
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It's not so much that I am against the idea. I'd do anything I could to help out a decnt band that is cool with us. The problem is, with very little exception in our area, all the bands pretty much are: arrogant, suck, don't need our help, or all of the above.

I don't like to deal with egotisitcal bands, and wont go out of my way to do anything for them, since they are already apparently God......these bands usually fall in the suck category band anyway.

If a band is cool, but just beginning and a bit shaky, I don't know what I could do to help. I can't plug them to our clubs to get them gigs, because it looks bad on me when they float sonic stinkers all night.

So in my case, I have to do 100% of the booking and crap in my own band, and surely don't have time to help others who are usually too busy telling everyone how great they are. If it's a good band with a cool attitude, I am all for it....but that is rare.
  12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    There's not too much of a music scene where I'm from... probably 20-30 bands of all genres and only a handful of venues. There are a couple bands around here who think they're hot stuff, but the vast majority are very cool guys, easy to get along with, and very respectful to up and coming bands. We all try to help out the new bands by getting them on a bill with a more popular band, that sort of thing. A lot of us have to travel to play any noteworthy venues, and occasionally if we can, we'll bring another local band along to get them some exposure as well. It's a big family around here (with the couple of exceptions I mentioned before) and we all freely associate with each other. There is no "competition" in the area, as we sort of view things from a "we're all in this together" perspective.

When a band is uppity and rude to other bands, the word gets around fast and their reputation is shot. Sure, in big areas like major cities, I'm sure there's less community vibe, but in smaller areas, it's tightly knit and everyone gets along. In addition, I trust the local musicians in my area more than I trust about anyone else.

I'd just e-mail some of the local bands or talk to them at shows and ask them for help/advice. I'd imagine that most of them will be willing to do whatever they can.