1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band-in-a-Box: how to program "kicks"?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Jim Nazium, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

For those of you who use BIAB as a practice tool, is there a way to program the "kicks" or anticipations on a tune like Joy Spring or Jordu? I found some sites with tons of free files that include the melody as well as the chords, but they all seem to have the chord changes right on beat one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    They're called "pushes" in the program, and the documentation says how to enter them.

3. In my version (2004) under "Edit" you can select "Intro Bars" and go from there.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Short answer is put a "^" in before the chord

5. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    You can also do it in a dialog box, "Chord Settings" and it lets you do a "push" they call it, by 1/8 or 1/16, but it has the same effect as the method pacman mentioned. You can also add rests or sustains, I use this method to have chords last for entire bar for practice loops.

for example to anticipate by an eight note:

^C7

A sixteenth:

^^C7

I use: C7...d

a lot. That makes the bass and piano play a whole note on one, but the drums play time. Great for making sustained practice loops on altered chords, the cycle, etc.

6. Cool! Thanks for the info everyone.