Band in a box - worth it or alternatives?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rainbownorth, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Here you go. 8 choruses, the 1st and 8th are the "head."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thats pretty darn cool. its like your own personal aebersold. thanks for that. did you use real tracks for that?

3. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yes, everything I've put up for you is done with Real Tracks.

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    so whats the difference between band in a box and real band?

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, i went ahead and bought biab and so far its still very confusing!! i have a quick question. what if i want to create a midi drum track? it doesnt seem possible. even when i select a midi style, i get a real drum track. that's cool and all, but sometimes i can hear the mistakes in the drummer's time, and i want to mess around with a midi drum track too. likewise for the piano tracks. i seem to be able to get a midi super track, which is an unquantized "human" track with all the timing variances, but what if i want a metronomic like track? i cant seem to be able to get one

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ignore my last question. figured it out. this program is not very intuitive, but once you figure it out its kind of fun. im just using it so far for 8 or 16 measure loops, but its pretty fun.

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    just wanted to post a little sample of my biab experiences. thanks to all who helped. this is just me practicing with it a bit. i leave it up for a few days before i delete it. feel free to refer anyone to the link who is wondering what gut strings sound like on the D and G strings. please go easy on my playing, im just practicing!

Robert B likes this.
  8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sounds great man! Glad it's working out for you.

9. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Nice playing!

Wally

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks guys

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    got another quick question for pacman or other biab users. i really love the accompaniment styles of held swing, and held bossa for practicing. im looking for a "held waltz" i just want the accompanist to play on beat 1, not all the annoying rhythms they sometimes play. is there a simple way to do this without going into each individual chord and creating a "hold"? even when i create a hold, they dont always hold. i still have to go into the midi piano roll and fix some rhythms, sometimes they dont even come in on beat 1.

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Seems like maybe you could create a style for that, but that's one I've never run into....

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    how do you create a style?

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Many more MIDI styles here
    http://www.nortonmusic.com
    The folks at Norton music respond to email, you can email and let them know what you're looking for.

Also try right click on a instrument and click "Force track to simple arrangement"

For the "MIDI" drums when you have RealDrums set as default, click on the RealDrums picker dialog and pick
    "For this song only force MIDI drums"

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021