Band In A Box

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 21, 2004.

1. How many of you guys own this software? Is it worth $88?

Do you have to buy a bunch of ad-ons before it is really useful?

I don't really have any other musicians to jam with so I thought this might be the next best thing.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    its pretty cool.

i have the Fakebook files that are really nice for jamming with.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have it too.

I love it. It's great for practicing playing over chord progressions and things like that.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's an amazing piece of software, but I can't get over how horrible the interface is, it really makes it a pain in the ass to learn and use.
  5. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    I agree with WR, I used it since college and the interface was and still is a complete mystery to me. There are about 50 buttons with seemingly random letters, like 5 different ways to load songs or styles, and I still don't know how to actually use the A/B section marking stuff.

Also, this is maybe improved in the newer versions but it would be worth looking into- the chord symbol parsing was kind of lame. It could do pretty basic chords but if I tried something like a M7#5, 6/9 or anything less common than that, it wouldn't accept them, and I couldn't find any documentation about what it could parse or how you could add new ones, etc.

The upgrade costs are so steep that I'm still using the old Version 7

It's really hard to believe that such an awkward ui could conceal what is a pretty remarkable engine, it'll make you laugh out loud the first time you tell it to do bill evans left hand comping, and by golly it sounds like bill evans.

The problem I have with the software is that your 88 bucks gets you BIAB, but for it to be really enjoyable (if you're playing jazz, at least), you want all the MEGA-PAKS and that stuff, and by the time you get done paying for those you're up near 200$. I have amassed a huge library of songs, but it was easier to find them years ago when I bought the software.

Finally, if you do not have a really good sounding synth on your soundcard, or some kind of midi module, you may start to get kind of irritated by the lame GM horn patches. With a good synth, it is a lot of fun to hear the arrangements BIAB comes up with, but on a bad one, its agonizing to listen.

I had high hopes for the thing when I was in school, but the awkward song entry and the fairly high cost of new tunes wound up relegating it to infrequent use.

If your interest is jazz, I think I prefer the Aebersold playalongs, because the playing is so good and the charts are maybe a little more reliable.
  6. I downloaded the demo and it seems really cool. The interface really does stink however.

I also downloaded Jammer Pro and I think I like it more than Band In A Box. Much nicer interface.
  7. Definately one of the most used programs on my pc. I agree that you need the fakebook files or mega packs to make it truly useful though. Although you can write in the chords from your fakebook I like to already have them there, it's nice to be able to bring up a random file and walk/solo through the changes.
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have acid pro, but i don't know how to use it
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I downloaded the demo after reading this thread and I agree with WR. The interface is retarded.

I used to use the program back in college on a Mac LC457 and it was easier to use back then as opposed to using it now on my G4 Powerbook.

They need to revamp the interface in a big way. Ease of use is a big selling point for a lot of software users.

That being said, it is still an amazing practice program.