Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band In A Box

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 17, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am getting more and more in the home recording, this is a wonderful world, full of interesting ideas and options. i heard about the band in a box interested in this software, i visited their website and i want your feedback about this software, is it a useful tool for composing?

thanks

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I found it pretty useful to quickly work out some nice chord progressions, or to try different rhythms, or maybe work out some nice bass lines. For the price, it's a pretty amazing piece of software.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just keep in mind that it's not an audio sequencer.
    But it's great for practicing over chord changes or for working on ideas.

Band in a Box 11 includes Roland Virtual Sound Canvas which offers better midi sound.

There is (or used to be) a 50mb tutorial video for download on their website. Check it out.

4. I've got Band in a Box and I also think it's a useful tool for working out chord progressions and figuring out chords. I wouldn't recommend composing an orchestral arrangement on it though. One reason I bought it was because my teacher had a lot of songs from over the years that he saved on his Mac version of BIAB, basically the whole real book, and I transferred them over to PC format so I could use them.

Overall though, it's really handy and easy to learn. I'd recommend it if you find it at a decent price.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. Hey hey hey!!! Very nice JMX!! That's a lot more songs than I have. Thanks a lot man! :D

7. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Wow, man, thanks for those songs!

I have BIAB - demo version, which cannot save new files.

I think it's definitely a useful software and i'm planning on getting a definitive version soon.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    how much is it in the usa?

thanks

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    do the songs in that zip file work with every version of band in a box?

I'm not sure what version I have?

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess it should work in any version, at least version 8 or newer.

Just try it, you can't break anything.

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Wanna bet.. I can break ANYTHING!!! - especially if it's PC related!!!

just kidding, i'll give 'em a go... thanks btw!

12. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    10 month old thread but...

I've been thinking about getting the Band-In-A-Box too but I'd like to know if it's possible to make your own drumtracks with it or am I limited into using the pre-made styles? I tried the free demo but couldn't figure it out...

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool program! I use it to confuse myself and make me feel like an idiot trying to improvise basslines!