1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band in a box?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tamz, Apr 23, 2009.

1. I don't know if a similar thing has been posted before sorry to annoy you guys if it has. I'd like to know if anyone here uses band in a box and what you think of it. I was considering buying it but I'd like to know what everyone has to say about it first.

2. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    I use it, it is quite complete, but the user interface is really akward, ugly and non-intuitive. This is a good tool to help you practice, with a lot of interesting functionalities. They just need to hire someone to fix the GUI.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I have used it on occasion...eh. I got my copy for free, so I suppose I got my money's worth, but if I'd paid for it I would have been really disappointed.

Tres Cheesey, as the French would say.

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    LOL, Yes.

5. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    How did you get that deal?

6. Shouldn't this be in the "Miscellaneous" forum? Police!!!!!!

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I worked for Sam Ash for 3 months and all I got was this lousy T-shirt! ...wait, I mean all I got was a free copy of Band-In-A-Box.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I like it and I think the interface is fine as it is - but it does really require that you understand music and how a "lead sheet" is written.

In fact I would go as far as to say that it is more suited to those who play Jazz and are using lead sheets all the time and know about constructing chords.

Without a certain amount of musical knowledge I think it would be a bit daunting and having taken up Jazz in the last 10 years I can say that now it is ideal for my purposes - but if I had seen it before then I would have been totally bemused!! :p

9. I agree with Bruce..I have used BIB for about 15 years now but only for practicing jazz.

10. It's a great piece of software once you get into it and as long as you're aware of what it's actually meant to do and aren't trying to make it do something it's not designed to do. You DO have to have a bit of knowledge of music to get it to jump through hoops.

I've used it on and off since the DOS version (yes it's been around a long time).

Sound-wise it's as good as the sounds on your sound card or in your external sound module, if you use one.