Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band In A Box

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am taking a theory class and the instructor highly recommends AND knows this program well. He is a Jassz/Blues oriented player and does not go the Rock route.
    My question is, Is Band In A Box good for learning Rock Music? I know that Music is Music, but I think I will have a better time relating to Rock oriented material.
    I am sorry I have not done any homework on this yet, but I thought I would start here.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Bob

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BIAB is usable for pretty much any genre. Highly recommended.

3. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I agree. Band in a Box is very useful. One thing to remember, for rock type music anyway, is that guitar (especially distorted guitar) from a computer generally doesn't sound very realistic. What I do is use Band in a Box or Jammer Pro to generate drum tracks and record simple guitar parts. Then you can practice bass while looping the guitar and drums.

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I use BB quite a bit for practicing.

I have found it's better for Jazz type tunes than rock tunes. The rock drumbeats and guitar sounds are pretty cheesy, but it does give you a way to practice creating lines and reading charts without having a band with you.

JMO....

Don

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I thought so. My teacher is a big Jazz guy. Can you download any rock samples into it? I don't know how it works yet.
    Any other programs for rock?
    He also has a program called "PEAK". It can cut and replay sections of music slower. Again, I don't know if it can do so with CDs or it has to be downloaded.

6. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Band in a Box and Jammer (http://www.soundtrek.com) generate MIDI events; not sound. If you are using the built-in soundcard in your computer, the sounds will be thin and cheesy.

Consider an external sound module (like the Edirol SD-20), a sound card that can handle "soundfonts" (like the Creative SoundBlaster Live!), or GigaStudio

PG Music and Soundtrek both have articles about getting the best sound from your computer on their web sitse. They both have free demo versions and forums to post specific questions.

Both of these programs are great for practice and there are lots of live solo acts that use BIAB or Jammer as backing musicians.

I hope this helps.