1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Band In Box" question.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oldcatfish, Jan 7, 2012.

1. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Hello. I know that a few TB members are using the 'Band In A Box' computer program. I have a question for you guys. Can you arrange a song with full instruments...then either leave out (or at least eq out) a particular instrument?

I am wanting a program that will allow me to perform the following two functions:

1) Make backing tracks without an instrument to play along with.

2) Write a rough draft of an original song so that I can hear how it sounds, without having to record all of the instruments. If I think that the song has potential, then I'll actually record the instruments into a recording program. Basically, the band in box program, would be used as a time saver for me...I have a lot of song ideas, but not a lot of time. The program will filter out some of my lesser potential songs.

If "Band In A Box" won't do what I want, are there other programs that would? Thanks for the help!

2. Band in a Box now comes with real Band, an additional (Free) program that will accomplish what you are looking for.
    For actual creating and composing music, or just getting some inspiration, BIAB is the way to go. I use it almost daily, and I am still discovering amazing new things. You should check out the PG music website and watch the videos.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes it does all that. It's great for prototyping songs and practicing

You should go watch the video's on pgmusic.com
    There's a 30 day money back trial.
    Try a version with realtracks - it has some really good players.

Realband is a very limited DAW. It may be enough, but you may need more when it comes to really recording.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Absolutely. And if you spend a little extra cash, the sounds get better and better.

5. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Quote "Realband is a very limited DAW. It may be enough, but you may need more when it comes to really recording."

I hadn't intended to rely on the program for the actual recordings. Just to run a rough draft to try out different melodies, bass lines, tempos, etc. Before I do the work of recording. I play guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards--so I'll be doing the actual parts myself. The program would just be a time saver for the recording function.

The primary purpose of the program will be backing tracks...so do you just make songs without that particular instrument, or do you have to eq it out?

6. You can do that with real band if you are doing it all yourself,
    and then just delete the tracks you don't want. If you just want to try out a chord prog, experiment with band in a box.
    there are hundreds of accompaniements in all styles, or you can make up your own. then just punch in the chords that you want.