1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Leader wanted, Musicians don’t have to be good....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Oct 19, 2020.

1. This made me both laugh and cry a little.
    Project involves playing Out of tune as if you aren’t any good. ?????? WTH

Wanted :: Band Leader - musicians

the dumbing down of the populous continues unabated.
    no words

LowActionHero and fhm555 like this.
  2. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    To me it’s like singing or dancing. You have to actually be good to be bad-funny, unless you’re recording and you have time to do it over and over again and hope to get lucky.

In many cases I think it could be harder to play bad-funny than play it right to begin with

gebass6, Dabndug, sonojono and 3 others like this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'm a shoe-in for that gig, I don't even have to try to play out of tune, it comes naturally ;)

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Kirk Bryant,

What an odd project. It kinda sounds like fun! :D Let me dust off my old tuba chops.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

JRA, G19Tony and Dabndug like this.
  5. This will be the first song you have to learn....

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    No comment.

richntiff, Recon1342 and arbiterusa like this.
  7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Like this.

Spectrum, Claymore, ahc and 2 others like this.
  8. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Reminds me of Doyle's band in the movie Sling Blade. It must have been difficult for those guys to sound that bad.

Skullheadrac, McG and Rabidhamster like this.
  9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

My college buddy borrowed me for his class project in broadcast communications, in which he produced a parody of Sesame Street. It was supposed to be a farce production where everything went wrong in an episode of Sesame Street.

One of my jobs was to play bass for the opening theme song. All of us had to play badly and out of tune, but we needed to play in such a way that was funny.

We actually learned the song out of tune, note for note. I had to learn the bass part exactly as written from sheet music that had carefully chosen wrong notes. The guitar, keys, sax, and bass, would take turns drifting into a minor key. The drummer was intentionally using the kick and snare with the worst timing possible and hitting the crash symbol at inappropriate moments.

When we first started practicing together it wasn't funny at all - it was just bad. But after running through it a bunch of times, we figured out the best way to play the song wrong and it started to become funny.

When we did the actual production, it was in a real TV studio and it was actually broadcast on our local cable channel (this was back around 1988). People who saw it gave very positive reviews and my friend got high marks for his project.

10. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Why am I not surprised this is coming out of Portland?

11. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Sounds like a lot of the bands that I saw playing in clubs during the late 1990's...Only they weren't trying to be funny. :roflmao:

EddiePlaysBass and Rabidhamster like this.
  12. The musician's ironically need to be world-class actually

fishdreams, pcake, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  13. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Ummmmmmm.............aaaaaaaaaaaa..............hmmmmmm...............aaaaaaaaaa...........
    Yeah I must be getting old cause I don't get it. o_O

14. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Enjoy...

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When i first heard the description of free improv i thought it was perfect for hacks and the less musically inclined. Then i attended a night of improv and discovered you needed to be one with every aspect of your instrument to NOT sound like a hack when creating music with none of the traditional elements, and make it interesting and exciting at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    fishdreams and Mr_Moo like this.
  16. Well, it's probably one of two things:
    1.) The ground floor opening in a Mothers Of Invention tribute band (sort of).
    2.) A cleverly disguised ruse by some creep who hangs around playgrounds and school yards.
    Either way, I'd pass.

17. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Phoenix
    used to sound check with that and people were always like WTHeck is that? Quite a few people recognized it from Slingblade though!

And then 4 clicks right into "Guitars, Cadillacs".

THE LAW IS ON MY SIDE! CHIEF OF PO-LICE. HA! Thanks for the reminder.

jchrisk1 and mikewalker like this.
  18. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    That's been running on Portland cl for a while. I've never been curious enough to respond to find out what the deal is.

Hypercaffium likes this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Sounds like a job for fiverr.

M0ses likes this.
  20. Its Enrico Pilazzo!!!!

Kro and Pulverizor like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020