Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Apr 11, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Are any of ye her your bands leader??Did ye decide it or you just feel you are?How would you go about picking your band-leader?And finally what reponsibility should he or she have?
    Have fun!

2. who ever does the most work is the band leader
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whoever owns the PA is the band leader.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Show me the money...
  5. we have no band leader, that promotes egocentricity and a feeling of dominence and superiority, a thing i frown upon in bands. I hate it when a whole band doesnt turn up for an interview, like when only a lead singer or guitarist does. Besides, if we had a leader, i'd develop a huge inferiority complex.
  6. geoneo

Apr 12, 2005
    depends what you mean by "leader". A person can do a lot of work arranging gigs/band promotion etc and be the main spokesperson for the band - and still keep the band a democracy.

If you mean "leader" as in, one who is boss, then I really dont think that can work - arguments lead to tension, tension leads to low morale, low morale leads to band breakups (as yoda might say)
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I probably am and our lead guitarist probably are. We're the closest friends in the band, and we're the wierdest/talk the most, so we kinda put ourselves in charge if you will.
  8. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I am in one band. It's kind of funny because a few of the people in my band have college degrees in music and nearly everyone is older than me, but I have the most spare time and energy to organize things, write out charts, try to coordinate everyone else's insane schedules etc.
  9. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004

I'm kind of in the same boat as pklima. I had limited live experience when I joined my current band, but after a few months I kind of took a leadership role. I write most the songs, I do the website, I've taken care of promotion and merch... I've even takign charge of the practices.

I have reservations about calling myself the leader, but I am the one with the most drive and focus. Without me we wouldn't be on our way to the studio or have a website. That type of stuff...

So to answer your questions:

It just happened, atleast in my gig.

The person with the most energy, has the focus and the vision for the big picture.

See some of the above for some of the work that comes with it. There's more, but that's a good short list.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Whoever tackles the majority of the business end is the leader IMO. Booking gigs is at the top of that heap.
  11. My band is a three piece, and we are all leaders in some way.

I manage the finances, promotion and legal stuff (I'm good at it...)

The drummer is really good at being fierce about tight arrangements and sorting out the setlist.

The singer/guitarist is our frontman and point of identification with the crowd, so that's his arena.

We all work toward getting gigs, we all choose songs to play, we all write songs (but the singer/guitarist writes more, naturally)

I guess it works differently for each band, but I find that this setup works best for me. :D
  12. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Good good.I think it'd be a good move for my band.Make the singer the band-leader
  13. walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    I don't know who's the leader in the band, but I do know that the drummer definately isn't :p

I come up with most of the song material, but I do not profilate myself as a leader. We're all good friends in the band and consider each other equal I guess.

We had this thing that we selected a new leader every week, that was fun.
  14. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    making the singer the band leader... good? err... does not compute. You're under arrest!
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I guess you must never have experienced a band with a leader....probably only about 90% of all bands in the universe :D