1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band let down

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DumbChild, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Well guys i thought id share with u a story and hear ur opinions. Lets begin, prepare for a decent read..

About 2 months ago a mate of mine (guitarist) and i decided we'd get some kids together to have a little muck around band whilst they finish education and i work. Me and my friend were playing a few songs, we hadn't got a drummer but we did our best. A week down the track some friends invite me to come to their band rehearsal. So my friend and i head along and we basically sat around with them chatting and playing some really basic stuff. Their members were

Guitarist - Played for a year, she has tiny hands and her lessons havent helped her much i dont think.
    Bassist - Apparently a musical person, though shes never played infront of me, shes also played for a year but ive only ever seen her stuff around.
    Drummer/singer - Their last member can apparently drum and is their singer, but she sounds terrible.

So anyway we were only there to stuff around because as u can see none of them are any good. Anyway we had a good day and went home. Another week down the track we were invited to another band practice, again we thought it cant hurt to tag along. Turns out the bassists uncle owns a studio, which was very full on. So we went and played in their. Their bassist was sick and the drummer/singer in their band didnt turn up. So we dragged another mate along who cant play anything, to play us some basic drum beats. (hes a natural:scowl: ) So me and my friend played with our make do drummer and the bands guitarist for a few hours. Was a very good session and i really enjoyed it, although the guitarists were a little crappy. So after a good days playing we head home and i jump online. I talk to my mate who was making a band with me and he says : Wow our band played really well today. Yea he now considers himself in this band. They are totally open to invite anyone, so hes up for it, they have a studio after all. So my friend is now totally into practicing with these people and has totally left me alone. I cant join the band as they already have a bassist. Who provides the studio so theres no chance that they will blow her off. So yep im left here without anyone to practice with, whilst all my friends, even the guy we invited in to drum. Play in this studio. So much for friends eh, looks like they only care about themselves. So yea, im now learning alone again...

Am i just over reacting or is that totally stupid. Ur best friend ditches u for some recording equiptment. I tell him im not practicing with them anymore cause they already have a bassist, and hes like : " Oh ok, cya later then ".

And at the moment i cant find anyone else who will practice with me, because im not that good myself. So yea, all my friends seem to have left me for this recording place and i cant do anything about it because they already have a crappy bassist who just happens to have an uncle with the right gear.

Thanks for reading:p good to get it outta ur system :mad:

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Yeah you are. One day you will look back at this and laugh...Trust me.

Keep practicing on your own and later on you will be in a band. Because if you practice and practice, people will approach you. Trust me on that also.

:)

3. This is how life is in music, unfortuatly. You said it was just to mess around. Its not like you were engaged.

The alternative is:- when you think you have a serious band together and they start not turning up. It will be unfair until the day that YOU get poached from some band for a really great gig.

So you're better off learning loads of songs and looking for the band you want to be in.

4. yea u guys are right, as usual:p. ill just keep up my practice and in a years time ill probably be playing with some other people. Thanks^^

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    In high school, I was dumped from one of my first bands because they found a bassist that owned a better bass than I did. He couldn't play it, AT ALL, but his bass was nicer than mine, so I was out.

It happens. Don't let it worry you too much.

6. Just find another band, or start your own with similarly talented musicians.

7. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    before i comment I need to know if any of thses girls are hot.

8. mmg

mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    yes, if they are hot suck it up and be a groupie.

9. Bassist = fat, ugly, acne faced.
    Guitarist = Short, tiny about 5 foot. But shes cute
    Singer/drummer = terrible.

In short, no they are not.

10. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    have sex with the guitarist and convince her to ditch the other bassist.

drummers are never good looking theres nothing you can do about that :p