Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band line up

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by metori, Sep 7, 2005.

1. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    In bands with two guitarists, one is rhythm guitarist and they play chords, but what does the other guitarist do? What about keyboard players?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Usually the other guitarist plays leads.

Keyboard players usually take lead breaks, fill out the sound during guitar solos, and try to play bass at other times. Just kidding about the last one ..... sorta :meh:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While he usually does play leads, the other guitarist doesn't have to play leads. He can also do a different rhythm part than the first guitarist, or he can double the rhythm part to make it sound really full and heavy.

4. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    What is a lead?

I am sorry for my ignorance, but I only just got interested in music a year ago, but now I can't get enough!

5. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The lead is the more melodic playing. Rather than just playing chords, they try to add fills and runs to make the music more interesting.

Guitar solos are leads, but not all leads are guitar solos :)

Guitar players tend to be either good at leads or good at rythmn. For example B.B. King only plays leads but Jimi Hendrix could do both.

6. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks everyone you're all great, I will have a lot of noobish question so, if you can, please refrain from flaming.

7. We try our best to welcome newcomers to both bass and music in general. Have fun here at TB.

8. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    What are floor monitor speakers for?

9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When on stage, it is quite often hard to hear all the band members. Monitors are used to hear what the other band members are doing. In the simplest case, they just relect what is going through the PA. More elaborate setups allows each monitor to have a different mix.

A floor monitor is just a monitor that sits on the floor. Usually it is angled up towards a performer.