Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Logo (please look)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We made our band logo. (Band is called "figjam", surprise). Here it is. Please share any likes/dislikes.http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080/figjam.jpgOur drummer kinda dislikes the A and M, thinks they kinda, dont fit. Any suggestions?

2. PLEASE loose the backwards G, it's just so korny (pun intended :D )

i can see where youre drummers comming from with the M thing, the F and J lines are part of the letter, but the M is just an M with a line comming off it. if you know what i mean.

other than that, it's a pretty cool logo :bassist:

Tom

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He (the drummer) made the G backwards so it flows well with the J, and i dont mind how it looks. Korn just does the backwards thing to be rebels. Dumbasses.

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    DEFINITELY lose the backwards "G" ...

As far as the "A" and "M" goes, the "M" doesn't bother me, really, but I'd say the "A" seems out of place amongst the other letters -- a little too pointy and severe or something ...

It's a nice start, though!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    People, about the G... imagine it forwards... and how stupid itd look..then talk.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Neat. I like the FIGJ part a lot.

The FIG stays together, but the A and the M are separate. They lean away from each other. Since, the F leans right, I would have the A lean left less, and then the M also lean left. You could look at the top of the I and the M, and make the top of the A the same width, kind of a block top, this would reduce the space between the A and the M. It would be neat if the swosh from the M would exactly mirror the top of the F or the other way.

You have lots of weight on the left side. Bringing the A and M together, and building up the M swosh to mirror the other side would balance out the volume. I would not worry about the tail of the F and the J being unbalanced, that is ok.

While you are playing with the logo. Think about how you would put stuff under that logo, like "WORLD TOUR", or, "LONDON", or "NEW YORK".

Good luck. Looks like fun.

Tim.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i think it's a good basic idea, BUT......

personally i think it needs lotsa work. unless your going for the punkish, haphazard look (or unless it was a real rough draft) i think you need to tighten the logo up a bit. make it more proportionate and defined. you can do that lots of ways. draw it out on graph paper maybe, and make sure everything is properly aligned, or draw a box in pencil and seperate the box into eight sections so you can draw out the logo in a more balanced professional way. Another idea would be to ask for help here - start a post asking if any skilled artist would help hone your logo.

if i saw that logo i would immediately think - "kids", "amateurs". if that's what yer looking for, great. if you want to push it in a more professional direction i'd rework it.

that's my honest opinion. good luck.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a friend who is an AWESOME artist, i was thinking of asking him to do it.

ANd this is a really rough draft, we did it while watching tv, hehe.

9. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Joe, I do not think that it is that far off.

I gave some pretty specific advice, but I did not include professional polish items because this is a rock band, darn it. This is not a logo to go on china dinner plates.

But, well, some of the polish would be making the lines for the edges of the F, the I and the G perfectly parallel, and making the ends of the I and the A and the M more similar, decide on blocksquare or bellbottomlike.

The creative part is done and good. Now just a little carpenter work and it is off to the tshirt factory...

If you have an art school in your town, there may be graphic arts students you could have help you get it up to production strength.

Tim.

10. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    the G in it ruins it completely. It went from "really good and cool" to "Teen Pop Queens acting cool but failing.

My Twist the G round and you have a winner.

My 2 cents.

11. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmmm...you might have a point there.

Along those lines (sort of) one of my first thoughts was to suggest trying lowercase letters (except for the "F" and the "J"). Seems to me a stylized, lower-case "g" would fit pretty nicely into the space that's created by the other letters. Not sure if lower-case would help or hurt the "A" and "M" situation, though...

I like everyone's suggestions about having an artist friend or local art student take a crack at making it look more professional -- unless, like someone else said, unprofessional in that raw, punk-rock sense is what you're after...

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The last thing we wanted was it to be "punk rawk". We are probably the most anti-punk group of kids in our area. It is a sketch, hence the sketchiness. Ill suggest the lowercase thing, because a very stylized lower g might work.

13. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Out of curiosity, how would you describe your sound?

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is that an assumption that we play punk?

:rolleyes:

We are Funk meets classical rock.. id say that sums it up.

15. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    No assumptions here -- I asked so that we wouldn't have to assume anything. For a funk meets classic(al) rock vibe, I would go with something even more extreme than the logo you have -- curvier, rounder, thicker. You're on the right track, to be sure, but I'd check out some 60s and 70s rock concert posters. They might be good models for the kind of vibe I'm imagining you're after. NOW I'm making assumptions... ;)

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ight ill check out some posters, somehow. Any sites that have a lot of em?

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't think it'd look stupid at all.

[​IMG]

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hategear, i really like that. It is more funk looking. The colors could be a little different.. i dont know anything to suggest, anyone have any ideas for a different color scheme?

(PS, thanks hategear :))

19. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Check out some of the links on this page for an idea of what I'm getting at:

http://wwar.com/masters/w/wilson-wes.html
    http://www.bmasse.com/

If I'm way off base here, just let me know...

If you need more, just do a Google search for things like "rock" "funk" "posters" "60s" "70s" "psychedelic" "San Francisco" "Fillmore" "Bill Graham" etc....

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey hategear, think you could make the letters grey, with a black outline, and the backround yellow? Or a white backround.