1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band marketing/promotion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Grantrudd, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    hey all,

after a long talk with my band tonight, we decided to get off our duffs
    and start getting out and trying to get gigs. we havent been too
    successful in the past, but we have a new, solid demo.

what tips do you guys have for marketing a band?

2. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    You don't have to be marketable to get gigs. Just call places and ask to be booked. Pretty simple.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  4. Real band marketing takes time. Expect to spend about as much time on the phone, writing emails and otherwise communicating with club owners, event promoters, etc. Better yet, get an agent.

I've been in a few bands where the guys aren't too experienced, and they don't want to give 20% to some guy (or girl) who hasn't sung a note in their lives. Then you ask them if they've ever actually booked a gig or tried to put together a press kit.... The answer is ALWAYS a sheepish "no."

Band promotion is a TON of work.

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i used to set up alot of gigs for the bands that i ws in during my highschool years. to start out i would just grab a handfull of your demos andd head out to the small rock joints around town. go to the bar during the day, ask for the owner or the manager, give them the demo and talk to them for a minute. tell them you'd love to play there. dont expect to get paid much (or anything) your first time.
    another tactic that i used was to find local bands that i liked and ask to open for them. eventually this turned into me promoting small shows around town. it worked really well because my band might have only brought in 25 people, but a bigger headliner will bring in 300, so my band got exposed to more people (and the bar owner was very happy with me)