Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band "Mastermind" looking for a bassist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DR Burkowitz, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Hey There Boys & Girls & Gifted Animals:

DR Burkowitz here. I have been asked by a dear friend of mine to offer up a golden opprotunity here on Talk Bass.

The band Mastermind, yes thats the Progressive Rock Giants Mastermind, signed to inside out records Mastermind, 7 killer albums Mastermind, is looking for a new bassist.

Here's the scoop.The band is located in New Jersey, about 45 minutes to an Hour from Philly, and is looking for a solid and dedicated bass player to fill their line-up as they finish album #8, and look at touring. Providing your the "right guy" this is a permanant gig, not a fill in. These guys are looking for that essential last member to complete their line-up. Here's their website if you want to check them out.

http://k2nesoft.k2nesoft.com/mastermind/

You kids that enjoy progressive rock know what an opprotunity this is. These guys are incredible. I have jammed with the band, as we are freinds, and each member is at the top of their game. On guitars and vocals is Bill Berends: I challenge you to find a tastier guitarist, all the chops you could ever want, with more soul than I can imagine. Rich Berends on drums: This guy is a bass players dream, he is not only the perfect meternome, but is clever and inventive with his playing, a total treat. On Keys is the master Jens Johansson: Yes that's the same Jens that played with Yngwie, and DIO, and is also currently in Stratovarious. Although he's often in Europe with his other project, he is a premanant member and at a minimum handles all of the studio key's. And topping this awesome lineup is the uber-talented Tracy McShane on Lead Vocals, I guarentee you that this singer will grab you by the soul and take you on a long ride, she's perfect.

So, if you think your interested let me know and I'll put you into contact with Bill Berends. Please make sure you have your chops up to speed, can rehearse in NJ (not to far from the 2 former Military bases). And have the desire to be a permanant working member. In return you'll be joining one of progressive music's greatest bands, be part of an incredible organization, and walk right into record deal.

Any questions feel free to post, email, or Private message me.

And to answer this question immediatley: My wife, son, job, mortgage, & dog aren't keen on relocating to the east coast, and commuting 17+ hours is a bitch, so as much as my heart wants it, practicality has won.:(

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    How much does a job like that pay? Do these players all have multiple gigs like the keyboard player? Thanks, Jon

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Bump. Somebody please take advantage of this and try out!!!!

4. Will do smash, I'll be talking to Bill a little later on.

Jon, Money is a tough issue. Will you get paid to rehearse: NO

And I would venture a guess, allthough this is just my opinion, that if money is your ONLY motivating factor, this project is not right for you.

I will tell you this. They are in the midst of finishing another album, of which I have had the opprotunity to hear in the early stages. This new album may be considered by many to be their finest work to date. That being said I would suspect their album sales to jump considerably, and gig money to increase as well. For Bill this is his only job, Tracy has a fill the time job, and Rich does Mastermind as well as a regular job and occasional Pickup work. Rich however has a considerable family to concern himself with as well. For Jens he's just in Moster Demand, and his other project pays quite well while on the road so take that for what it's worth. In addition you have to look at the total package. Number of Albums sold, number of gigs played, merchandise cut, publishing royalties, label advance, etc... We all work hard to get to this level, but from watching Mastermind, there's alot of things which all come into play for that "paycheck".

All of this however needs to be properly discussed with the Mastermind guys however. I'm just a friend trying to help out, wishing I lived closer.

I hope that helps. Let me know if your interested and I'll put you in contact with Bill

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's tempting. Even just to have the experience of auditioning for a band that talented and well established. I downloaded the 3 tunes from their last album, and they're all very good. I'm a big Dio fan and some of it reminded me of the Rainbow years. Cool! My skills are up to 2 of them but Beast of Babylon would give me some trouble. It wouldn't be just for the money, but I had to ask. NJ is expensive. My day job is actually very good, but my dream is to quit, rock out for 20 years, and then return to it when I'm as old as the rest of my colleagues. Hopefully I'd be deafer then too so I wouldn't have to listen to them.
    :D

6. Hey jondog,

The worst that could happen is they tell you no. If you think your interested, send me an email and I'll get you the information. It's a great opprotunity. If I wasn't 17+ hours away, I'd be auditioning like a madman.

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz