band mate input

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    hey guys. this question is for all you guys in a band and it has to do with writing the bass lines for your songs. Do you guys write all your own grooves or do your band mates put in their ideas on how it should sound? i only ask because my mind hasn't developed quite enough musically to be able to just think of a line that sounds cool very fast.

2. to quote abe simpson: a little from column A a little from column B. i usualy write my own lines but sometimes you have to play the wrong stuff to get a guitar player what scales he is playing so you don't clash.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Depends on the music. Sometimes, the first thing that pops into your head is the best, no matter how simple it sounds. Oftentimes, on original tunes, if I can't get it happening in a few tries, I'll ask someone, usually whoever is writing the song. Just something like "How do you hear the bass in this song?"...Sometimes they'll have very specific ideas, but more often I'll get something like "Whatever you were doing is fine..."

As you play more, your mind will get to where you can come up with cool lines quickly. It just takes time...Don't be afraid to ask for input. It's not a sign of weakness...

4. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    hey thanks guys. i guess i've just had a coupla' "off days" ya dig?
  5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I think this is more suited to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  6. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    I live in the middle of nowhere, and finding people to simply even jam with his hard enough. Then, when I do even get to jam, I somehow end up being the musical director, because I got everyone together. I found the best way to put together a freestyle jam is to name off a key, a chord progression, and a time signature, and possibly a rhythmic style (straight 16th funk, swing, etc.). However, getting that first idea can be particularly difficult, and the jam session can easily end up being the "day the music died," because you can't quite come up with that first spark. The only suggestion I can make is - remember, music is emotion.
  7. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I, being a spontaneous person, usually plays the first that comes out. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it couldn't mean more to me.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I generally start out by playing the root notes in the chord progression and slowly develop my own little melody to counterpoint with the guitarist(s). In bands with keyboard players, I've had a more difficult time doing this because they always like to play a simple bass line that invariably gives me no room, and their right hand does the same on the melody end. That's when I have to scale back a lot, and enjoy the music.