1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band mates say that my bass is too loud. Need a little advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spintop90, Dec 13, 2019.

1. spintop90

spintop90

Mar 2, 2018
    South Florida
    New to bass guitar
    So I'm in a heavy metal band with 3 guitarist with like 20-watt amps (which is pretty loud) plus a drummer. Everytime I play they would always tell me that my bass is so loud and to lower it down to the point that I can't even hear my bass. Oddly enough, they tell me that they can hear my bass. I'm not sure if this situation is mainly caused by the placement of my amp, I tend to place my amp right next to me, so I'm not sure if I should move the amp more to a corner away from me.

Benny Bennett and Ellery like this.
  2. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Get the amp angled up so you can hear it, or on a stand and off the ground. In very non-technical terms, bass sound waves need some room to develop and when you're blowing everyone away you can't really tell if your amp is playing to your knees.

3. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Stand where the guitarist's stand. What do you sound like?

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The important question is "how loud is everyone else to your ears?"
    If you are having to turn up to hear yourself and getting told to turn down then it's probably too loud for everyone.
    Everyone has to re-arrange their amps so they can hear everything without damaging their hearing!
    Good Luck!

5. jmon

jmon Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    3 guitarists in a metal band? That would be a challenge for anyone. May be a frequency issue as much as a volume issue. Finding your “sonic space” in that situation may be tough. You can try scooping then add some low mids for a bit more cut. That may allow you to be heard without having to out volume them. Lots of factors at play here. Type of bass, pickups, amp, cab configuration Ect. Do some TB searching for different EQ tips in a metal situation. That’ll help you find a way to be heard well without max volume.

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    LOL! Try having a drummer that mics his kit for rehearsals. I am literally discussing quitting this band as we speak. Like I said in post #4, Good luck!

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I keep a fairly long cord and step away from my rig as far as I can to try to get the whole picture. I've never been told to turn down, normally they want me to turn up.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    That's the problem: If your amp is on the floor and you're standing next to it, you'll be the only person in the room who can't hear it -- so when you turn it up loud enough for yourself to hear you're too loud for everyone else. As @Thumb n Fingers said, you need to put the amp farther from you and angled up at your ears, or you need to put it up on a stand or something so it's closer to ear level.

P.S. This is why my rig of choice is a pair of vertically stacked 2x10s.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    cchorney, zenrad, dune and 11 others like this.
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If they're paying you then turn down as quiet as they ask you (even if you think it's too low).

Rook likes this.
  10. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    You are too close to your amp, move the amp behind you some distance, say 6 feet and see how you go.
    Try and point the speakers at your ears.

TinIndian, One Way, retslock and 4 others like this.
  11. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    It’s not that bass sound waves need room to develop, it is that with 10 inch or larger speakers, the mids and highs begin losing dispersion at 1.3khz. So instead of the sound mids reaching his ears when he is off-axis, they are traveling straight out to his knees.

12. Sometimes it's just too much low end, not volume. Take some of the boom out and see if that helps.

Eric66, Al Kraft, Zbass82 and 10 others like this.
  13. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    ^^ This right here could be it.
    Can I ask what your setup is?.. and how you set your controls?

Also, as was mentioned, you want to stand away from your amp to hear it best. Trust, nothing worse than a guitar player crankin up his amp cuz HE cant here it..cuz her standing right next to it..blasting past his legs, right across the room, into your face.

Maybe you and one of the guitarists could switch sides? (you in front of his amp, and he in front of yours?)

T$

spintop90, FRoss6788 and longfinger like this.
  14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If that were true you wouldn't be able to hear hear low frequencies through headphones, since they're literally touching your ears.

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Perhaps speaker size has something to do with it . I know that you can hear ten inch speakers standing in front of the speaker , much better than a fifteen .

Eric66 likes this.
  16. if you are right on top of your rig unless you have a 8*10 SVT cabinet you need to move away a certain amount of feet before you can get a good idea of how loud you are. I read and presume it to be correct that for the inche sizes of your speaker is the same amount of feet you need to be from the rig to hear the bass. Example 10" at least 10 ft from the front of the rig

17. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Is your band named "Metallica"?

Schurger, operagost, BadJazz and 32 others like this.
  18. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

^^^THIS! :thumbsup:

Thank you for trying to dispel the myth that bass sound waves need room to develop. If that were the case, we would never hear any bass from headphones. All soundwaves (of any wavelength) are fully developed as soon as they leave the speaker(s). You are exactly right with what the OP is experiencing. The mids and highs, which our ears hear more easily than lows, beam much more than omni-directional lows, and so his knees (and his buddies' ears) are receiving the full spectrum of wavelengths, but *his* ears aren't. I agree with the other posters to either increase the distance between the bass cab and the OP (so that his ears become positioned within the invisible mids/highs sound cone), or either raise the cab or tilt the cab up aiming at the OP's ears. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

The information you received is incorrect. :thumbsup:

See posts 11 and 18 for a correct explanation. If the bassist's ears are within the invisible dispersion cone of the mids and highs, then the bassist will hear the notes regardless of the distance from the cab. In fact, it will be louder the closer the bassist's ears are to the cab (assuming that the bassist's ears are within the invisible dispersion cone that projects out from the cab).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  20. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::thumbsup: