Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band mates should be...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by reitedasc, Mar 19, 2006.

1. People who share your musical vision, who likes your kind of music and want to play it.

28 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. People you get along with, your friends.

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Good musicians.

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Wich do you think is most importaint?

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Since it is a team effort you should all be working towards the same goal, no use having a brilliant guitarist who only wants to do metal stuff with a drummer who likes country and a bassist who plays jazz

3. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    all of the above.... hard to find but once you do it's magic, I've just recently gotten good enough to start jamming with some long time friends who share the same music styles and it's absolutely fantastic.....

4. Robert Fripp (King Crimson founder/guitarist/dictator-for-life) has said that a musical situation can be tolerable if two of the following apply:

1. The music is creatively stimulating;
    2. The money is good;
    3. You enjoy the company of your bandmates.

If you have all three, congratulations! If you have only two, you're still in good shape. If you've only got one, maybe it's time for a change. If none, you are either a hopeless optimist or an out-and-out masochist.

5. I think in my opinion its gotta be:

Reliability

if the band members don't turn up to practices then there isnt a band. which is a situation my band find ourselves in with our drummer.

6. BuffaloMO

BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ
    I would want members who at least like the same kind of music and have the same goals for the band. :bassist:

7. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    i would prefer friends with mediocre skills as opposed to great musicians who are strangers if i was trying to make it big as a band.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Because I like to sub more than having a regular band, I'd say bandmates should be.....anyone who can hand me a gig.

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    This is a stellar post.

10. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    I should have added that one, but it kind of goes under "get along with"

11. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i agree with all the posts except this one. one of the best ways to get better as a player is to play with players whom are better than you. the best way to do that is to be a good hang. if you have the right attitude, many experienced players will allow a newbie to play with them. many beginers are afraid of situations like this because they are pushed by the others to keep up and get better. and that takes WORK. peace, jeff