1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band mates want me to get a smaller cab, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tfernandez, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tfernandez

tfernandez Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    I know how many of these threads exist. and I apologize deeply. But, with so many choices out there, my head is spinning. so I guess I'll start with the basics....
    Sunn300t head with a yorkville 410B cab (old 300 watt version with blue rat hair) I play in multiple bands of multiple styles (progressive metal, indie rock, funk, jazz....)

The yorkville is pretty decent, but the size is preventing me from moving it in my car anymore (had in incident where it cracked my windshield.) so, I was wondering which smaller cabs you fine folks are raving about currently. I see a lot of people talking about fearful on here, and I am rather curious, but I also want to see what kind of other options there are.

thank you

2. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    fEARful can cover a lot of styles and works well with a slew of amps. It's been my holy grail, I cant imagine ever gassing for cabs again unless its for more fEARfuls. Just choose the configuration that best suits your needs and budget. They all sound the same...amazingly loud and clear.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    ElantraTouring1.
    ElantraTouring2.

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Get 2 212s... Or one for that matter. I'm a gk fan, but I don't think anyone needs more than a 412 setup

5. tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    chris300cd1.

unfortunately I'm not rockin a hatchback ;)

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You can easily get a 15/6 in the front seat of that car (mine fits in my 97 Civic).

It will be capable of alot more volume than your yorkie 410 and will likely be lighter too.

Dimensions here: http://greenboy.us/fEARful/DL/15+6/fEARful 15+6.png

Another setup that worked well for me was two 112 cabs. Very portable and easy to fit in the car.

7. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    I used to have a two-door Tercel and I found that two 210 cabinets would fit in the back seat. Stand them on their sides. You can use seat belts to hold them tight. Ashdown ABM 210 cabinets are Mercedes quality; Avatar sound good.

8. Bandmates refuse to cart your cab for you? LOL.

The Merc boot looks like it has a big wide opening so you might fit a couple of wider, not so deep 2x10 in there. The vertical 10 stack is the new 4x10.

9. Use the convertible in the garage!

10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    +1 for two 1x12 cabs.

OTOH, check out JohnK_10's 2x15... It's a 4x10 killer! Under 50 lbs, and fits in his BMW's trunk. I used to carry a Fender 2x15 of the same dimensions (different drivers), and can attest to the cabinet's power. Even with EVM15Bs in mine, it weighed less than a 4x10...

11. Might I suggest Barefaced? Alex Claber could build you a 212, 115, pair of 112's, all high quality. Thinking about it, you could look at any of the manufacturers building "Super Twelves" (High end 112 cabs, a pair of these would seem to fit the bill for you) Bergantino, Baer, AudioKinesis, Vanderkley...
    Or, as stated, you could go fEARful.

12. tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    haha I would love to use it if it was actually mine. this is just a sample picture of the same model car i have. (mine is in no where near this condition. love my old diesel beater though)

13. tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    great suggestion with barefaced. his cabs look top notch. Unfortunately I am in the United States, so that makes a bearfaced a little less doable.

14. tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    I know you have a lot of fearful experience. What are your thoughts on the 12/6 vs the 15/6. or even a 12/6 + 12sub

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

A good 212 or pair of 112's also have output similair to a 410 and the taller form factor also makes them easier to hear and schlep. Fearful and similair types even louder as they can be pushed harder without fart out. If your current setup is loud enough and just the physical size is limiting you, I'd look to 210's or 12's in pairs. From the fearful stuff, a single 15/6 would so it if your amp has an 8ohm tap, otherwise a pair of 12/6's. Or quality plain 12's or 10's like the deltalite based OEM's in other type cabs.

16. The 12/6 + 12sub will edge out the 15/6 in volume by maybe a few decibels, and will be 4 ohms versus 8. For a single cab the 15/6 will have better power handling and sensitivity than the 12/6. For your head I would be looking at a 15/6 for added sensitivity.

17. tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks for the info. the 15/6 is starting to hop to the top of the list since I have a woodshop and could do all of this as money allows. I just need to get over my irrational fear of 15 drivers

18. Go to the map at the bottom of this page. Is there anyone close to you? If so fEARful owners are pretty happy to let you come play through their cab.

19. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    What's your budget?

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Band mates want me to get a smaller cab, suggestions?

What's their budget?