1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band member not committing to rehearsal

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by shoulderpet, Dec 26, 2016.

1. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Just needed a place to vent on this, probably not a big deal to a lot of people but really irks me. Have recently started playing with some work mates, we are not gigging at the moment and the idea has been to jam together regularly in a relatively casual way. Anyway we had our first jam about 2 weeks ago and over the Christmas break said we would possibly have a jam over this period. Have messaged my bandmates and our guitarist is available pretty much any dates. Our drummer on the other hand i proposed the 30th a few days ago and he could not make it, asked him about the 29th and he could not make that either, fair enough i know it is the Christmas period maybe he is tied up with family commitments so i ask him about the 1st or 2nd January both of which he cannot make, ok how about the weekend of 6th January, guess what he is not sure if he will be able to make that weekend.
    I am thinking i may as well cut my losses and focus my energies elsewhere.
    Rant over

Ellery likes this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Yep. That's what I'd do. Move along...nothing to see here.

3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Oh, a drummer?

Bodeanly, Jimmy4string, rtav and 3 others like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    not promising. have you asked him to give you a date he CAN make?

5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Usually, we suggest firing the drummer when he's not really the source of trouble. In this instance, I'm not really sure what to suggest. Fire yourself??

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Next

Thumper19605 likes this.
  7. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Yes move along.In the first place,you said you were jamming.That leaves open any kind of commitment. If you're a band,
    it's a different thing.Just make sure you figure out what's what in the future.A jam is just a jam.

steamthief likes this.
  8. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Yes, have messaged him asking him that, no response so far lol

Herrick likes this.
  9. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I will be moving along, although we have been jamming together the plan that me and the guitarist had (that our drummer is also aware of) was to have several sessions until we are at the level were we can confidently gig together, clearly this is not going to happen with our current drummer

10. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Well, if the drummer doesn't have the time then you either find a new drummer or quit altogether.

Sean Cargill, smogg and dbbltime like this.
  11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    He sounds like about half the people who say they wanna be in a band. When it comes to actually getting together regularly or even doing their homework to learn songs, they flake out. If you and the guitarist are hitting it off, don't waste another ounce of energy with this guy; find another drummer.

Sean Cargill, five7, sm49341 and 7 others like this.
  12. LowFish

LowFish

Nov 8, 2014
    Coastal NC
    If he won't commit to practice/rehearsal--move on, he will also have a hard time showing up to gigs.

five7 and Ellery like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

how did the jam go?
    everybody at about the same skill level?
    about the same previous experience?
    any stars? any stragglers?
    how was the 'hang' at your jam?

just curious! :thumbsup:

Jimmy4string, steamthief and StayLow like this.
  14. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Jam went well, all around the same-ish skill level although the guitarist is unquestionably the best musician of us

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

is it possible that the drummer is intimidated --- feels like he might be getting in over his head?

16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Same as the people who say they want a beach body, a healthy relationship, a better job, more money in the bank, etc...yet make zero effort.

Calling co-workers "band member" after one jam seems a bit much to me, but whatever you call it possibly he wasn't impressed with the first jam, or he's just living a full life. In any case, judge him by his actions including poor communication....he's not keen.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    brbadg likes this.
  17. kalanb

kalanb

Dec 17, 2012
    Good thing you're finding this out now.

Ellery likes this.
  18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Personally, I'd wait to see how January goes before canning the whole thing. For some folks thanksgiving-after new years is jammed with commitments. Next time you're all together & finishing up, start with him and ask when is the next good time to all meet again. IMO, you guys will never be gig ready unless you can squeeze in a few weekly practices in a row.

19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I thought the whole world shut down between Thanksgiving and April 1st. was I wrong?

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  20. Some people need goals to stay in the game. If the band isn't gigging, or doesn't plan on gigging anytime soon, why keep rehearsing if you've got a full life and other commitments? I wouldn't show up either.