Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

.band members in multiple bands.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 5, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    hi, i found out today the one of our guitarists is in 3 other bands, and for some reason i felt..saddened?.

Weve been together almost 5 months now (well got a new drummer and stuff) and i never knew, always assumed he was a 'one band wonder' (like myself).

anyway, he shown us some of his other bands work (he plays guitar also), and it has some of the same riffs in as we use, that our other gtr'er made up.

not really a point, just thought id see your views.

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i don't think there's anything wrong with being in multiple bands. i think it's great, actually. more exposure to different ways of operating, different styles, etc.

but i think what your guitar player is doing is wrong. if i read correctly, he's using your band's riffs and ideas in his other bands. that's just not cool and completely ruins the point of being in multiple bands in the first place (by my criteria).

as for me:

back when my band was called "xerohour" (ne-xerotalent :D), the drummer had apparently established a "no multiple bands" rule.

but he didn't seem to care that, the next day after our first-and only-gig, i played a show with a drummer and saxophonist.

but he did care, however, when one of the guitarists started another band. then we kicked him out and changed our name! :D

btw-his band broke up just recently, too.

would it be wrong not to feel sorry? or even laugh?

:D

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am in 2 bands. A rock band and a ska band.
    None of the people in my first band, the rock band, feel bad about or anything because they don't really like ska. So they aren't offended that I didn't ask them to be in my ska band. So all is well :)

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I agree 100%. I'm in 3 bands right now, an indie rock band, a metal band, and a ska band. One of the guitarists in the indie band is in another band, and that's cool with us. He writes for both of his bands, but mostly his other punk band. That doesn't bother us in the indie band, because our drummer does most of the writing there.
    Being in multiple bands is a good thing if it can be done. Currently, I'm looking for a good blues/R&B band, just to give me a little wider array of styles.

5. multiple bands are great, unless they cant coexist. its even better if you play multiple instruments. i play guitar and sing in one band(my main band), play bass in the other. my drummer plays drums in a different band, and guitar in the band i play bass in(confused yet?). its a great way to express yourself in different styles. another option is make a super band that plays many styles of music.