1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band "moving on"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Long story short...

My band is moving on without me. My guitarist sucks at solo improv. He was not prepared for the studio. He f-d up, I got frustrated. They dont want to work with me, I dont want to work with them. gui****'s dad starts business, we sign contract, pays for EP. Kicks me out.

They decide now EP will be extended to LP without me, under their new name: Crown Kingdom and will become even more like a Led Zeppelin copy band... I still get royalties, but its 3 of my songs and 3 other colaborations under a name I hate and was never a part of. Release date gets pushed back. They possibly get fame from all my work.

I feel betrayed. What do?

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I was forced to watch the I<3 Radio/Clearchannel circle jerk/awards show last night. One spokespuppet put out that 2 million songs were released last year alone. 2 MILLION.

As long as you have a royalty agreement, IN WRITING, sit back, and let them go. (Assuming its a songwriting credit?)
    A. The odds of them hitting it big are very very slim
    B. If it does go big, they will have to buy you out, or reform under a different name
    C. Lifes too short, even as young as you are. Go find another band,

Nephilymbass, odineye and 47th Street like this.
  3. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    They already have... they renamed themselves and are releasing the material under this new name, to which I do not agree with. The EP isnt even finished yet. It feels like theft.
    Already in another band.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've studied a lot of blues.
    There's two major categories (there's a lot of crossover with Country too...) :
    1) I'm so sad 'cause my baby done me wrong.
    2) Get out of my life, I'm better off without you.
    I know which category I prefer...

You have a 2009 join date and your bandmates are still being financed by mom & dad?
    Just move on. Release the baggage.
    In the unlikely event you receive any royalties for your songs, either buy something nice or put it into your retirement account, then live well and let them be jealous.
    If you're proud of your songs, keep that sense of accomplishment.
    (Unless they bought out your songwriting rights, they're still your songs...)
    I'd be astonished if "Crown Kingdom" goes anywhere, parental investment notwithstanding...

Winfred, odineye and 47th Street like this.
  5. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Ever install a copy of some software you never bought?

Call it karma.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I see two potential paths here:

1) one of the three songs you co-wrote becomes a big hit. The band does all the touring and promotion and you collect royalties at home without all the pain in the ***.

2) None of the three songs you co-wrote becomes a big hit. Nobody makes any money ever. You go on to a different project with people you get along with better.

Getting fired sucks, but since you're apparently set to get royalties on the work you did, I don't see this being any huge loss.

odineye likes this.
  7. Join another band write great music and let it go. If your ideas are better than there's it'll be obvious in no time. As ender said it's very unlikely they will obtain much if any fame from it. The music industry is dead. Bands are better off putting their own music on iTunes and working with a legitimate booking agent to schedule shows than signing with the biggest record labels these days. In fact don't be misled by the way things used to be. These days many big bands actually owe the record company money. Some may be famous, but most are far from rich.

8. If you have a royalty agreement, you didn't get betrayed... You just got fired. It SUCKS, but it probably won't be the first time.

I'd suggest dusting yourself off and moving on. You can still release your songs with a new project if you want. Good luck in the future.

aggrokragg likes this.
  9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Every one is replaceable. Learn this lesson early in life and save yourself unnecessary grief.

Joedog likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    First, get over it - you really don't have much choice there!
    And.. there are 2 sides to every story, and for most.. there's a reason folks get kicked out of a band.
    As a BL for 7 yrs, I've only ever kicked 2 folks out during that time.. most left one their own for a variety of reasons.. and none "under a cloud"! One was the guy I brought in - for the simple reason that the band decided to downsize and didn't need 2 guitar players, when I (the other) was doing 90% of the work anyway. The other was a keys player who was "overwhelmingly insulted" by our BE taking him out of the FOH mix (he was still in his monitor mix, so did not know) because he consistently refused to stop playing over the bass lines with his left hand. We had tried to address this with him..many times! We had already decided to let him go after that gig, if it did not change. BE's job is to make us sound good.. I'd have taken him out of the mix too!

In short, if you got dumped, there's a reason for it.. You may not know the real reason, or they may not have told you the real reason, but people get kicked out of bands because they either can't play their parts, or there's personality/internal political conflicts.
    Either way.. move on!

11. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Thing is, I started the band. I started the writing originals a year ago and it kinda just took off. I more than capable of playing my parts correctly. The original name belongs to me and the guitarist, and thats why they are changing it.

I just think I got kicked because I came across as a bit arrogant at times. Sure I know how good I am and I know my limits... but does that constitute arrogance?
    Right now the guitarist thinks he is much better than he is and thinks he can make it by professionally... even when countless time people have complained about his playing, his singing, and even his lyric writing. Even the drummer he is with right now complained about his singing. I think hes a good rhythm player, but I cant give him credit for being anything beyond average for anything else. He still plays like he is a teen in a garage band and he doesnt understand that there are no-solo times in jams.

I posted another thread when disagreements started to happen because he had an unfinished song and we had limited studio time. The studio time got cut short because we tried to fit another song in and the guitarist ended up wasting an entire day trying to get down solos in the studio. I told him he needed to work on at home, but he constantly procrastinated. I did most of my keyboard work at home, and got the bass tracks done with the drummer, yet I was to blame for studio time being short. Then he complained about me not saying anything in the studio when I liked stuff and thought it was fine. Then he complained about me suggesting stuff when I was trying to get him to play better improv solos (his dad was next to me saying the same things, and he did most of the talking over the studio mic). Then he complained to be about playing acoustic guitar quietly (sometimes out of boredom, sometimes trying to help write stuff/find harmonies) in the console room while he was taking precious time recording his parts.

Pretty much no matter what I did, he complained about it. Meanwhile, I was soaking in and ignoring his royalist opinionated classic-rock only ******** just so I can get this EP done and recorded.

12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    if you can still get royalties, you should support their efforts on your money-making behalf.

13. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    I think you're messing with a parent/child relationship, which is a no-win situation.

The dad is putting up some money for his son and who do you think he is going to side with when there are personality conflicts?

You're best to move on but hang on to whatever is legally yours.

14. So, if they're changing the name, you could keep the band going under that name with a different line up, still keep doing your songs, and if by some incredible chance they make dollar one on one of your songs, you could see some pocket change...

Personally, I can't think of a better way to get fired. Sure your feelings are hurt, and I feel your pain, but you'll get over it. Not much you can do except move forward. Success is the best revenge.

hrodbert696 and sparkyfender2 like this.
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Be prepared to be Ron McGovney...

but seriously, I think this has been answered well in this thread.

16. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Their success and my failure is what worries me. I just don't have the man power to support my material. I'm no singer.

17. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    How can that worry you? Aren't you going to get royalties for any song you wrote that they release? You can always sue them to stop using your songs.

You may not have the manpower now, but it's been suggested that you start your own group. Bam, instant manpower. If you're as good as you say you are, you shouldn't have trouble finding musicians who want to work with you. You have the opportunity to control your own destiny. Seize the moment.

Muttleybass likes this.
  18. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Gotcha - that initial para was no clear in your OP....
    Yes, that would suck big time.. sounds like there's a "parent" behind the scenes driving this and supporting their "kid"... if that parent is also a funding source, then their opinion will carry weight that YOU do not have, even if you are a band founder!
    I doubt there's much you can do about it, other than keep the original band going with other members using the original name, playing the songs (plus new ones) that you wrote!

I sucks, but you don't seem to have too many options, but to chalk it up to a learning experience, and make sure that for future [similar] situations you have the legal + paperwork, funding, etc lined up to PROTECT your intellectual property, rights and so on.

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    You have to let this go - trust me.
    So many important life lessons to be learned here.

Rule #1: Life's not fair. In case of confusion in subsequent rules, Rule #1 prevails.

There will always be people who appear more successful at something. For many, it will appear to you undeserved. You cannot prevent this.
    People will take advantage of you. Don't let them. Definitely don't let them twice - you knew who you were dealing with after the first time.
    You are responsible for your own success. If you are being perceived as arrogant even if you have the skills to back it up, you have learned some people don't like that. Act accordingly.

20. lol what