1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Name Bind

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fendsboy417, Mar 15, 2009.

1. fendsboy417

fendsboy417

May 1, 2007
    Hi. Been with this new hard rock band for a while, but we've never played a gig and do not have a band name. Now we need one within a few days to register for a large local show that will be filled up very soon.
    I know you guys can't suggest me band names due to the legal trouble that it would entail, but is there any strategy or advice you guys could give to me on how to find a good name for my band?
    Thanks a bunch
    :help:

2. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Go to Wikipedia, click on "Random Article" and enjoy!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If I was in your position, needing a name on short notice, I'd just sit down and come up with an endless stream of nonsense word-groupings, and type them into Google with the word "band" or "music" until I came up with a two or three word group that has no band listed on Google.

Then at least you have a temporary name, and people can advise how how they'd improve it to suit your sound, or to be more memorable, for later gigs.

Oh, and I'll give you for free this band name I made up earlier today: "Hardy Drew and the Nancy Boys".

4. find something you are all into....like the X-Files for example use a characters name, or an episode name, or an inside joke from the series...(note: just an example but yes alas i am a fanboy....lol)

Godsmack got their name from Alice in Chains
    Shinedown Got their name from Godsmack

so possibly use the song title of one of your favorite bands or one of your own song titles...

flip through the dictionary....

old movie titles..i.e. White Zombie

or shove two words together to create a whole new word....example:

Amalgum and Monolith creates Amalgalith.....

usually names will come along at the right time and place by accident.....(man this is a Motley looking Crew) <----thes that's how they got the name....

good luck

5. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Foaming Pipe Snake.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    HUH?!?!?!:eyebrow:
    Are you kidding??
    Did I miss a new TB rule or something?? Is TB that pathetic??

Here's one for ya:
    Huge Jorgan and the Rubber Band!

7. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    /thread. :D

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    One Awesome Inch
    Die Trying
    Velvet Vertigo
    Beta Max
    Working Stiff
    Crimson Kiss
    Perfect Circle

I have lots of 'em.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Just so you know, there are no legal precedents that would prevent us from suggesting names for your band, in fact there have been many threads dedicated JUST for helping someone name their band. As a matter of fact, I got my band name from a random suggestion I gave to someone else, though after deciding to use it I did let everyone know.

And with that, I submit to you:

Malkovich & the Darkies

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
  11. No suggestions, but I was in the same situation as you and the best thing that could have happened was that we had a deadline. We unsuccessfully discussed band names on many occaisions, but when we had to submit one for our gig, it forced us to decide before we left rehearsal that day!

12. Given that people are totally willing to help you out here, why don't you give them something to go on. What style is the music?

13. fendsboy417

fendsboy417

May 1, 2007
    hard rock

14. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    1. Alien Autopsy
    2. Luna and Lovegoods
    3. Flight Plan
    4. FL350
    5. Propwash
    6. Gebus and the Disciples
    7. Levi Knights
    8. The Cavity Creeps
    9. AV-aters
    10. Strung Out
    11. BoomShakaLaka
    12. Adult Children of Heterosexuals
    13. Boneless Chicken Beasts (yes beasts not breasts)
    14. Dopes on Mopeds
    15. Moist Monkey Meat

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  16. Hard Rock ya say?

Easy....call the band......Element 76

why you say? well....Element 76 in the extended periodic table is the number for Osmium which is roughly 7% harder than a diamond, which makes it the hardest natural substance known to man in nature....i.e. a Hard Rock....lol or just the name Osmium...

Now if you were Heavy Metal i would say Element 71 which on the extended periodic table is Lutetium which technically is the heaviest metal on earth....see what i did there?....lol

17. In a bind? You must be BOUND UP then :D

And that's a freebie. You can use it. Pretty sure me saying so releases my rights to come back later for my pound of flesh. If not, Litigious Action may result.

I usually just look at normal sentences for inspiration for titles, names, songs etc.

18. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    "Dear Loser"

19. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

It's also the most dense...probably not the connotation one would want to give to an audience.

Not that anyone in the audience would even understand if you told them about the element. "Huh? Then why don't you call yourselves 'The Hardest Rock?'"

Of course, I've always felt it takes guts to choose a band name like:

Closed
    Dollar Drink Night
    Going Out Of Business
    Ladies Night
    Monday Night Football
    Private Party
    Special Guest
    To Be Announced

20. How about a random name like Diver Dave? or Fall on the knife...:meh: seems easy to think of names.