Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band name change.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My country band, Rock Ridge, has been playing at a little country store near what used to be a local lake (the water has dropped about 50 feet in the last year). In fact, we played there this weekend and had a great time. Anyway, there's a neon sign out in front of the place that says "Live Bait." So we think we're just going to rename our band Live Bait just for the free and constant publicity. On our new business cards, it'll say "Live Bait," then in smaller letters below that, it'll say "300 feet."

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I like it - Rock Ridge is a good, solid name, but Live Bait definitely has a fun, cool, we-don't-take-ourselves-too-seriously kind of vibe. If this were a poll, I'd vote for the new name. :)

3. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I like the new name

LIVE BAIT

it just flows real good, and I think it will really stick in people's minds. Go for it!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Keep in mind that Rock Ridge is the name of the little town that was ravaged by ol' Slim Pickens and his band of miscreant nitwits in Blazing Saddles. It was all after he convinced Hedley Lamar to get 'em with the ol' Number 6, whereby they "come a'ridin' into town, a'whoopin' and a'whompin' every livin' thing within an inch of it's life." Then, of course, they wrap it all up at the ol' Number 6 Dance.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That definitely adds the 'fun and cool' quotient to the name - but it's more of an inside joke kinda thing, I'd imagine. Score one for Rock Ridge, but my vote is still for the new name.

btw, a cartoony 'minnows and worms' theme could make for some fun and interesting CD/tshirt/poster art, if that fit the vibe of the band.

6. I got the Rock Ridge reference (I'm a big Mel Brooks fan). Great choice! Live Bait is great too. But though I think both names do hold well on their own, Live Bait seems more accessible to a person who doesn't know the Rock Ridge reference. It really depends on the mood you're trying to evoke a new audience member. Live Bait is definitely more joking to someone who's never heard of you, and that may or may not be the mood you want to emit.

BTW Secret Donkey, did you ever think of using your TB handle as a band name? I think it'd make an awesome one.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... you know, I'm honestly surprised that even though I'm also 'secretdonkey' on a couple of local boards and have the name associated with all of my online activities, I've somehow avoided earning a donkey-related nickname outside of the online world. And I'm a man desperately in need of a stage name, too. One of my vocalist/guitarist bandmates insists on introducing anyone (non guitar) who takes a solo :rolleyes: - but he has trouble getting my name right. And let's face it, Mark Tindall-Gilmore sounds like the name of a butler, not a bassist!

Of course, it would be wayyy too tacky-pretentious to suggest and propogate my own nickname, so for the moment I guess I'm stuck in butlerbassist limbo! ;)