1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

band name importance

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Well... How important is a bands name? Personally I believe that a bad name can sink you, but a good name can not save you.

What are your thoughts?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    IMO not that important. The coolest band names are only cool because of the bands behind them. I mean, really, think about it. The Who? The Guess Who? Led Zeppelin? None of them really make any sense. As long as it's not right out lame, it will be cool if you are.

IMO

3. Its nice to here from a fellow cheesehead!

4. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    If the name "Goo Goo Dolls" doesn't sink you, nothing can.

5. A good band name is unique, memorable, and internet searches should point to your band instead of a billion other things. The [generic word] is a bad band name, because searching the internet will not lead to your band.

I don't know what's wrong with The Goo Goo Dolls - clearly they're pulling from a rich history of goo goo names. Who could forget Kajagoogoo? :rolleyes::D

6. I'm going to comment just because I'm from Wisconsin too :)
    But nah; band name doesn't really determine much... I mean, if it's something completely profane and stupid... then no, people won't really take you seriously even if you're good. Otherwise... go for it.

7. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    basically what you said

except it all boils down to if you're a good band, if so, the name matters less even if it's horrible i guess

8. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    My go to line for a long time on the subject has been "every band name is stupid unless you love the band.", but some people get in a real twist over it. My buddy just broke up his band, citing among other things that a lot of people say their name sucks. By "a lot of people say" of course he meant the dozen most popular people on whatever genre-centric message board he posted on. I think you can have grossly inappropriate band names, like having a super morose death metal band called "The Monkey Farts", etc., or bad puns that make people cringe. There are a lot of lackluster names though that just sink in after a while if you really dig a band, like saying the name of anything over and over until it has no meaning and just becomes a sound.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

One reason that some big name groups, especially from the 60s and 70s, had such short names like Yes, Rush, the Who, etc., was that the fewer letters in your name, the bigger a font you can use on the poster advertising your show. "Mabel Greer's Toyshop" had to go in a font too small to catch the eye of the casual pedestrian bypasser, but YES is very visible.

10. Ok... hows this... Our bands name is "Department of Nonstop Rock" or "DNR"

Going with some of the feedback here, we should shorten our name up because of advertising. Also, its less of a tongue twister. The thing is, we are really good! we have played a couple shows now, and we all have nothing but great feedback from the bar owners, and other musicians/fans.

http://www.dnrrockin.com/Itsallaboutthemusic.aspx - here is our setlist.

11. I doubt a name will do all that much . . . I was in a band called Free Beer and Chicken when I was in high school :D

Speaking of high school - some buds of mine started a cover band that got as big as a cover band can get and is still around some 10+ years later called Pete Moss and the Fertilizers . . . . and my area has/had HUGE cover bands called "the nerds" and "big orange cone" except for an obvious curse or term that would prevent you being on an ad or something I can't see any harm

Though I did read there have been a few points the Barenaked Ladies ran into minor scuffs due to their name (yet they are still famous!!)

12. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I think the more specialized your band's music, the more careful you have to be. Because sometimes it doesn't work, or is confusing. it's perfectly reasonable to call yourselves Goiter Jelly, but when I checked out the band on the web, they had a death metal sound, not the punk fun I was hoping for. Now, if you are in mainstream pop or "alternative" (whatever that means now), you have more leeway, and can go Goo Goo Dolls, or Arcade Fire, or whatever.

For the record, my garage band in high school was called Bad Condition. And we were in it ;)

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I used to be in a band called Special Edd and the Gifted Children.

NOT my idea :rollno:

14. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think as long as your name can be remembered, you are good. And, of course, somewhat matches you genre, and isn't "Big D*ck Steve and the A$$hats" or something.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In medical and elder-care circles, "DNR" stands for "Do Not Resuscitate". :)

I personally tend to get bent out of shape about "good" and "bad" band names, but I also have to freely admit that many bands with "terrible" names have gone on to massive success. I mean, "Def Leppard" is an embarrassment of a name; if I had been an original member, I probably would have quit the band if the rest of them had insisted on "Def Leppard". But obviously they have laughed all the way to the bank for decades.

16. Lots of people thought The Beatles was a stupid name too.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Whatever you do, don't scare the audience. We play a lot of fraternal organizations and a tag like "The Turd Burglars" won't fly. We go by "Freestyle" but are commonly introduced as "The Freestyle Band" so it works either way.

My wife thought "Freestyle" sounded as if it should be a feminine hygiene product and she's right. Come to think of it, we are the 4 of the biggest douchebags on the local music scene.

Riis

18. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Whatever name is chosen, it will eventually be announced as "The <INSERT NAME HERE> Band" at some point.

I bet U2 was announced as "The U2 Band" by somebody at some point in time.

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think musicians agonize much more over band names than audiences do. The audience just needs something to recognize you by.

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wonder if it ever happened to The Band ;)