1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band name issues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by niftydog, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Just seeking opinions from you guys regarding our name. Newish band, funky originals, 4 piece, one member has suddenly taken issue with our name, Lackafro.

Please give me your first impressions and any pros or cons you can think of. Once I get some unadulterated feedback I'll fill you in on what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for taking part in my psychosocial survey experiement!

2. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    the name is just a name. In my present band I was kinda caught up in it and didn't like the fact that we kept changing it but then eventually stopped carring about the name. It doesn't really mean much until you get serious about it and that might take some time, then you may decide to change it anyways.

Our progression of names is like this so far:
    1st name -- This Tortured Soul
    2nd name -- Pyroklastic Surge
    3rd name -- Built for Pleasure

Though I haven't really taken the last one seriously as I think it was just something for fun at the time, though they still seem to be calling it by that, lol.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    That name sounds like a funk fun party band name to me.

It sucks when there are people in your band who dislike a cool name when everyone else is into it. What makes it worse is that they can't come up with anything themselves or come up with cheezy names that are hideous.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    It's an OK name - not WOW, but better than many I've heard.

In the real world though, the original meaning of the name gets taken over by the band. There are plenty of bands with bad names that you would have rejected, but they got stuck with them - now when you hear the name you think of the BAND, not what the name might have meant - Led Zepplin (A joke about how bad they were!), Jethro Tull (A Guy who invented a farm machine), The Beatles (a Crickets rip off, but uggghhh creepy crawlys are a bad idea). It doesn't matter because the word you pick stops meaning what it DID, and starts to mean YOU.

More importantly, if you're out gigging (and you don't really suck), pick a name, stick with it, and take every oportunity to get that name seen and heard. Make Lackafro=your band.

Ian

Personally I've always wanted there to be a death metal band called Offall!

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My first band was called The 25 Hour Day.
    Oh yeah, we had business cards and everything.
    Band motto: "We may not be loud, but we're sincere!"

Alright, quit laughing, I was 14 at the time. And we weren't loud, because we had no equipment.

6. I suppose it could be considered racist in some way.
    Is the band made up of all white guys playing music in the
    style of predominantly black musicians?
    Lackafro = Lack of an afro?

I'm not trying to call anyone racist, or start any trouble,
    but that's the first impression I got was that it was meant
    to mean lack of an afro.

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    White boys can grow fros too!

[​IMG]

8. True.

9. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    It doesn't do much for me as a name, but don't let that stop you. I've stopped trying to come up with names that make me jump up excited. It takes so long to come up with a name that all members of the band can agree on that I am just happy once we have a name at all.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know about the AU, but here in the US, someone would be bound to take offense with that name. More than likely, the people that would take offense have no chance of ever growing an afro. Ain't political correctness grand? :rollno:

There might be some uber-pc club owners that may not hire you for fear of offending someone. Potentially, that name could make it more difficult to get gigs.

I don't take offense, or consider it racist, but was just putting on my PC hat to give you feedback.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Lackafro - 4 Non Blonds - I say play that funky music white boy!

Not too crazy about the name in general, but I don't think it's offensive. I did immediatly think it meant what I think you want it to mean. Why don't you call it Lackarithem. :)

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I didnt perceive the racism aspect, only the lack a fro. Merely recognizing what makes folks unique, isnt racist.

But, I think the name is pretty forgettable.

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    OK I get the 'fro' part... I dont' think thats too big a deal.

My question is, does anyone in the band look "Newish".

Have you consideded, "GoyToy"

14. Thanks for your input guys, this is very interesting. Seems most of you got the jist of where I was going with this. The exception to the name has been that one member finds it non-pc and he "would not gig under that name."

You guys also seemed to have similar thoughts to me, in that it COULD be considered offensive by some, but that most sensible people wouldn't give it a second thought.

Now, calling it out and out racist is drawing a very long bow. Racisim is discrimination or prejudice based on race - are we showing prejudice simply by calling our band Lackafro?! No way! If anything we are dengrating ourselves for being a bunch of white honkys trying to play funk!!!

Bah, there's no winner here sadly. The grounds for complaint can't be disputed, it's just annoying that this kind of misguided political correctness is everywhere these days.

Maybe we'll change it to Lackaphro and just piss off the feminists instead!

15. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    try these:

1st - Third Sunrise
    2nd - Tears Of The Dead
    3rd - Empty
    4th - Hollow Space
    and 5th - Whack -A - Mole!

16. Thanks, I already have quite a list to go back through to try and find my second choice! I found it pretty funny looking at band name lists on the net, what some people come up with is just staggeringly hilarious!

I'm leaning towards "band name goes here."

17. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    10 Cent Wings is a great band name that would draw a lot of people.

:D

18. if you want something funny try Captain Delicious and the Oreo Crew.

19. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Same with Free Beer, but it's been done.

20. try adding a number after the name...

i hear that it worked for a certain band after adding the numbers 1,8 and 2 in place of "and you'll miss us"