Band name useage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by biergott, Jan 17, 2003.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca

My band has been paying under the name Damaged Goods for some time now, and I just stumbled across at least two other bands with the same name. One had registered at

My question is, should we change our name? Do we need to Trademark our name? What happens if the other band makes it big all of the sudden? Do we run the risk of being sued?
  2. It depends on how big you are. If you have a pretty big following a band might make you change your name. But if both of them are very small operations they probably won't have to resources to bring suit against you. However, because one of them registered the name it might be best to just try and find a different one, though you might be able to shiz your way out of it.

Local ska band from CT was name Sping HEELED Jack, then they got asked by British Techno group Spring HEEL Jack, to change their name. I'm not sure as to what transpired, but I think the CT SHJ had been around longer, therefore they kept the name. As a prologue, CT SHJ became Spring Heeled Jack USA, to avoid any confusion. You could try something like that.