Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Name... Yeah I Know....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Secret Agent Awesome

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Charles Monroe (Get it? Opposite of Marilyn Manson)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Dr. Skeleton

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Matt and The Drive-Thru Abortion Clinic

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, what do you guys think would be a good band name for my band? It's pretty much gonna be me... and the occasional featured artists.

2. i have to say charles monroe is quite clever but i think matt and the drive thru abortion clinic fits best especially if you're basically going to be a solo artist. i mean the obvious comes to my mind with a name like that. you're the main person and then there's the aborted fetises that worked with you but didn't quite have the chance to be born.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The question begs to be asked, what kind of stuff are you going to be playing?

I think Matt and The Drive-Through Abortion Clinic is a little tasteless and could be a lot controversial. Charles Monroe is kind of cool, but don't expect anyone to "get it." Dr. Skeleton and Secret Agent Awesom are kind of blah.

How about Stupid Matt and The Occasional Stand-Ins, or Matt _________ and The Occasional Stand-Ins?

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I thought "Matt and The Drive-Thru Abortion Clinic" was pretty deep AND it sounds convienient.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm pretty sure tastless is good for the music I do... "Non-Talented Crap Rock" or as I like to call it "CrapCore." I'm going to play bass, which I'm alright at, guitar which I'm less than alright at, keyboard... less than alright, and the drums for the most part will be coming off the keyboard. It's gonna be sweet, heh. I don't think it will be as bad as I think it will. But then again, I can't take your ideas for a band name, or I'd have to add you to my special thanks list on my cd! "Special thanks to Hategear for the band name, I'm too lame to come up with my own band name."

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    If you play "crapcore" you should talk to Nick Curley(thats his name here),he said he started a record label called CrapCore.He said its just for fun and hes signing bands and stuff.he had a website.ill post up the link here once i find it.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow! I thought I just made CrapCore up... heh. Ok

8. Matt and the Drive-In Abortion Clinic sounds like it'd get the most attention, and there is no such thing as bad publicity. But.....don't expect everyone to appreciate your joke. Charles Monroe is cool too.

Secret Agent Awesome and Dr. Skeleton sound like crappy college bands, I'd avoid those.

9. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    all of those names sound tasteless. CHarles Monroe is just stealing the idea of MM. That's cheap. Phoney's like you should stay out of the biz.

10. rock on, man. show biz is full of phoneys and copycats and people that other people hate. that's what makes showbiz. i'll even be your roadie.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ouch, harsh, you know, phoneys have feelings too! :( I'll have you know that I'm doing this as a partial joke/partial ideas that I want to use that won't fit in my "normal" musical style. I want to be experiemental, basically, when choosing which band name you like, don't think, "Hmmm, which will sound better when Carson Daley says it?" I don't expect many people to like my music, I don't even know if I will. I've had a few odd ideas ticking in my head, and want to record them, it's basically gonna be me and my ol' pal, N-Track studio. I'm hoping things turn out alright. SO basically, yeah, I'm a big phoney who should stay out of the biz.

P.S. I know Charles Monroe is stealing the idea of MM... that's the joke... do you get it? :rolleyes:

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm sorry I should have explained my in depth meanings to the names of the band.:D

Secret Agent Awesome: There are a few kids around my campus who demanded that they be refered to as their nicknames, I found this to be extremely lame. So I look at my roomate and say, hey I got an idea, you be Space Robot, and I'll be Secret Agent Awesome. Ta Da.

Dr. Skeleton: There is this eyecare place nearby called Skelton Eye Care, and everytime I see it, I swear it says "Dr. Skeleton." And that cracks me up for some reason.

Charles Monroe: I like Manson's music, but HATE, I REPEAT HATE!!! His Image. And I just reversed Marilyn Manson... basically it comes from one of my rants of how lame Manson really is.

Matt and The Drive Thru Abortion Clinic: Ahh yes, this one was fun, all I did was think, hmmm what's THE most offensive, yet slightly comical name that I can come up with. What's offensive, hmm Abortions. Then through hours and hours of masterminding... here it is!

For some of you it's a bit too late to consider all of this, for most of you... you don't care. :)

13. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Show some respect.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Told ya (that was pretty harsh though, Trist)!

Also, negative publicity is one thing, but being outright offensive and tasteless/tacky right at the beginning is usually a killer. One thing that I've learned, is that you have to cater to the idiots and "PC police." Always assume that you will be the only one to "get it" and adjust accordingly. Here's a perfect example: the name of my old clothing biz had the word "hate" in the name. I was in no way promoting hatred of any kind, in any way, towards any one. My stuff was similar to the stuff you'd see in stores like Hot Topic (and now Walmart and K-Mart). I had a page on the site that very clearly explained that fact. My business cards said, "It's just a name." I was told over and over again that the word "hate" was killing me, in the sense that people hate the word hate and would probably assume the worst when they saw it advertised. The final straw was when my girlfriend's mother told me that she thought I was "working for Satan," based on the name alone (she admitted that she had never been to my site). Had I taken that fact into account when I first started up, I may be farther ahead with it than I am.

Food for thought.

EDIT: I wouldn't expect any mention on your CD for using a name I came up with, StupidMatt. 10-percent of your sales and merchandising would be good enough for me. ;) :D

15. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Stealing the same idea for naming a band is just wrong to me. I tend to be harsh to people who lack creativity by stealing from other musicians. In my opinion we need more creative people in music nowadays not cheap nockoffs. That's just my opinion and I'm sure that some of you must agree. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings. But would you take a band seriously if they had a name like THe Mashing Cantelopes ie The Smashing Pumpkins? I hope not because that would make me wonder about a lot of you on the board. I don't dish out criticism to be mean, people have to earn it.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You don't get it, it's a joke, ha ha, it's funny! :rolleyes: I'm not going to sound anything like Manson... grrrr... just nevermind. Alright I confess, I'm not creative enough, I plan on ripping off Manson. My plan was to release the album, "AntiGod Rockstar" and release my hit single, "The Attractive People." I apologize to Manson and most importantly Trist. :rolleyes:

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey, if you're not going to use the drive-thru abortion clinic one, can i use it? (d'oh, that means i'll have to start another band!)

maybe something like "(adj.)-matt and the drive-thru liquor store(s)"

hee hee.

then there's my perennial fav. suggestion: "the cellophane waist-band"

(get the joke? it's fairly low-brow!)