Band name...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by twinkletoes, Jun 4, 2002.

1. twinkletoes

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm looking for a band name. It's pretty simple, I want it to be the - something or somethings. Give me some suggestions, I'm totally blank. Thanks.
  2. How about The Something or Somethings
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The Thumb Puppets?
  4. Ok.. give me a type of music, and some similar bands, and you'll have a snitload of names in no-time :D
  5. Allodox, are you waiting to say stuff like System of an Up, Purple Day, Green Night, Smashing Rutabagas, Guns & Violets, Our Man War, Eve 7, Finger 12, Add 412, Bothered, Succubus, Coffee and Biscuits Party, Age of Water Power, King, Alien Worm Farm, Bif Fully Clothed, The Walls, the F-15's, The Cockroaches, Jefferson Slave Powered Junk, I Father Time, or Rolling Moss Covered Boulders???
  6. twinkletoes

Jun 4, 2002
    Wow.. I really like the something or somethings, lol.

It's punk/hardcore type music.
  7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Go for something else imo. EVERY punk band is The Something, as you say. Its not original after a while.
  8. Hey man, at least consider Smashing Rutabagas or The Coffee and Biscuit Party.
  9. I really like 'the coffee and biscuit party' actualy

could have 'the help youself to the finger food buffet party' or 'the coffee and cake party' as an alternative.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    twinkletoes is nice, if you play in an alternative pop band ;)
  11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    How about Winkle Toes.

Think sex and you'll come up with something, ooh, there's another one...

Captain Winky and the Man Brigade

Cock Knocker and the Rear Admirals...
  12. Manly Shiver...... i shouldn't need to explain this to men..

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bitch Cakes
    Naked The Duck
    Mechanized Attack
    Baby Astronauts
    Stinky Otis
    Otis P. Funkmyer

I don't know, I just had a thread in "Misc" about my band names. I'm probably gonna be in "Matt and The Drive Thru Abortion Clinic" so you can have Secret Agent Awesome
    Dr. Skeleton
    Charles Monroe (Get it, Opposite of Marilyn Manson)
  14. Unfortunatly allot of band names are coined up for the use of publicity and merchandising... Names that convert easily to logos or symbols provide a rhebus for those who choose not to catch on to the full name of the band all at once. There seems to be a law to catchy names, with many different rules that apply to it. I think the most appearent one is the one sylible or four letter word rule, with bands like Snot, TOOL and Korn. Not only simple but they also catch on quickly; anyone else notice that system of a down grew in popularity after they shortend their name down to SOD?

Dumbing down the name is a good way of getting noticed for either smart or stupid crowds of people, smarter ones will notice the error and dummer ones will understand it. But I digress :p .The misspelling of words is used allot and click automatically with todays simingly illiterate crowds... Limp Bizcut (Limp Biscuit) is a good example, it throws in a shortend spelling and modern lingo to dumb it up and making it sickingly catchy. If that disturbs you too much replacing letters with numbers works pretty well... The dumbing down of a name is another problem wirh the demographic area you wish to appeal to. Bands with more complex names seem to appeal to a smarter or more refined crowd than a more simple name would. You'll notice that with allot of folk, jazz, etc... Then there is the weirdness rule, when people will just take notice at the name and say "Hmmmm... that band's name is --Good God! The Farmer ****** My Daughter?--"

The rule applying to logo type moves deeper into typography than in the name itself... Names that have first letters with legs, arms or sraight stems are very simple to convert into simple symbols. Take a look at the Kidney Thieves' Logo
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bah! When I think of SOD, I think of the mighty Stormtroopers of Death.

How about Major Woody and the Privates?
  16. Peter File and the Kiddy Fiddlers
    someone here on talkbass posted that once but I can't remember who.
  17. hardcore eh ?

hmmzzzz.... short, single-word names are always the best.. hmmmzzzz..( the brains of the AllodoX do their work )

- Persistance
    - Stainless
    - mindview
    - openview
    - node
    - drone
    - core
    - dredge

something like that ?
  18. Watching Titan A.E. and taking Bigfeet's post into account, I recommend the typical nu-metal name of Dredg. Ala Staind.
  19. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    That was me!!! I'm renowned!!! Yay.

*clutches privates with excitement*
  20. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    *Stops clutching privates and looks around to make sure nobody was watching, then realises he's written every action down and posted it on internet*

*Slaps forehead*