band names

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nemo137, Feb 20, 2001.

1. My band was formed last year without a name, and about 2-3 weeks later we got so sick of people asking what our name was and haveing to say "um... we don't know" so out of our desparation we settled on deepsix. none of us like that name, so i'm asking for 2 things.

1) feedback. what do you think about
    glowstick weasels
    magic plastic ferrets
    wednesday @ 5

2) suggestions. anyone?
  2. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    how about the how about the homo and the upside down tringals roflmao
  3. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    JMHO, but Glowstick Weasels sounds too much like Voodoo Glowskulls. But how 'bout Magic Plastic Weasels?

My old ska band had this same problem. We wrestled with it for weeks, but somehow came up with a cool name, The Hepidemics, then we broke up a few months later. (So I guess that one's free, if you want it. :D)
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I always liked the name "Special Guest".We used it for awhile but I was the only one who liked it.Another name we used was "Whiskey Richard".
  5. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    glowstick weasels has a nice ring to it.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Plaidtastic practically obligates you to wear least your front man. Then you'll look like Mighty, Mighty Bosstones ripoffs.

To open up your thinking about names, I read this once in Guitar World or somewhere. Some band did this trick which I thought was neat. They made three columns of words they liked. Then they mixed and matched words from each column trying out different combinations until they found what they liked.

If you don't like a three word name, just try two columns of words. They can be nouns, colors, verbs, adjectives, numbers, letters...etc. Misspell some of the words if that suits you.

Another advantage of the drill is that you will be less likely to choose a name already taken by another band. That is increasingly difficult to do these days.

Give it a try.

jason oldsted
  7. i like that idea, its tres cool
  8. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    What style of music do you play? and is it covers or originals?
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You prolly need to pick up some simple name that suits you. No-one's going to want to find out about band called "jimmy's uncle's warehouse rats with their elastic trousers of seven kinds" - it takes too long to write it on Napster! :D

Perhaps 'The Glowsticks'?

BTW, I think it will just hit you someday.
  10. i like 'WEDNESDAY @ 5'
    i think it's because i'm into emocore music though. style has a big bearing on names to me.

you wouldn't expect a grunge band to be called 'cradle of filth' would you?
  11. elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    deepsix isn't a bad name. . .
  12. Thanks for the ideas. as for musical style, we sound like weezer on crack jamming with the hippos with ben folds sitting in on keys. that or just loosely contained chaos.