1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band of Demons or Johnny?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by louieeadg, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Devil, accompanied by The Band of Demons

33.3%
  2. Johnny and his weird lil song

55.6%
  3. Carrots

11.1%
  1. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    It was late the other night after band practice and we usually "kick it" for an hour or two after we play...

I played a song I hadn't listened to in a while-Charlie Daniels...Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Guitar man and I started talking...I said I thought the Devil actually won that contest. Drummer concurred with me, guitar man didn't.

So what do you guys think? Did the Devil win or Johnny?

2. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

Feb 12, 2007
    Missouri
    Toss-up to me. I thought it was cool how The CDB mixed in two styles and moods and still made them connect in the same song. The tune has been/is overplayed, IMO.

What REALLY gets me though, is that they were such a tight, creative, talented band and all you ever hear anymore on the radio is that song and "Long Haired Country Boy"! I was really into them for several years, and bought most of their albums. The music ranged from traditional country, to southern and progressive rock, to blues, often on the same album. I saw them in concert once, and actually shook Charlie Daniels hand as he was walking back to the bus after the show. (It's really funny to show someone how he shakes your hand, guess he is just being careful....:D, kind of "girlie", I thought...)

3. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007

Charlie Daniels gave you the old dead fish hand, that's crazy!
    Johny won. That's how the song goes.

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 They were killer! Charlie and Tommy Crain on dual leads, and their bassist (name escapes me)was kickass as well. One of the best in the country rock scene. I saw them opening for Leon Russell. Leon was sick, and the CDB played a solid 2 hours, before Leon's half-hour token appearance.
    I dunno, have you ever had a jerk with a real strong grip try to crush your knuckles? It don't tickle. :scowl:

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Johnny won.

EDIT: Yep, I was right. Here's the lyrics from the last verse:

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
    He laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet.
    Johnny said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
    "I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been."

EDIT2: Ok, who ACTUALLY won? In my own opinion, you mean? Guess I'd have to listen to the song again, it was quite long time since last time...